Lace Rock Water Parameter Changes Test (56Kers beware) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Lace Rock Water Parameter Changes Test (56Kers beware)

Well here goes...I picked up a great piece of Utah Lace Rock, which was collected at Topaz Mountain, UT. The rock weighed in at 2 lbs 14 oz.

Here's two pics of the full rock:

Here is a close up...Very close. This is about a square inch of the piece.

to begin with GH was 60 ppm, KH was just under 50 ppm and the TDS showed as 179:

pH was at 6.2 (which I am wondering if it is correct, given this was not CO2 injected, and the KH levels).

Here is the piece in the 5g bucket filled half way:

Some things I am worried about is it has lichen on it. I would have spent more time removing it if I were to put it in the tank. It also feels very delicate to the touch. I could feel it crumbling in my hands. I really like the look of it, and some of the larger pieces looked great! I am excited to see how the water parameters change over the next two weeks.

Also as I am keeping the tank at a constant pH of 6.3, I would assume the test will not show what would actually happen. I think the CaCO3 would dissolve even more quickly in the actual tank.

I am going to be away from 12/1-12/12 so I won't be tempted to mess around with it. Let me know if anyone wants a souvenir from Egypt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First true attempt at a planted tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One thing I didn't expect is the walls of the bucket are "pearling." The water was in there for over an hour before the rock was added, and within 10 minutes of adding the rock the sides are covered in bubbles.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 08:43 AM
Stu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
The "pearling" is just off-gassing of excess pressurised Oxygen, which is in the tap supply.

Lace rock is volcanic, so the rock itself shouldn't pose you any problems. Just the "extras" on it might.

Regards,

Eheim Pimp #121

80 litre "Planted" tank

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
The "pearling" is just off-gassing of excess pressurised Oxygen, which is in the tap supply.

That makes sense, but what surprised me about it is it didn't happen until after I had added the lace rock.

A quick TDS test this morning shows it up to 201.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
nice looking Red lace rock.......I still want some to add to my rock collection what are shipping prices?

want to trade some for rocks for your choosing.(spell check)

Last edited by aquamoon; 02-04-2006 at 02:09 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamoon
nice lookig Red lace rock.......I still want some to add to my rock collection what are shipping prices?

want to trade some for rocks for your chosing.(spell check)

I would be happy to fill a flat rate box for 8.50 to cover shipping + paypal. I imagine I could get one piece like this and another four or five small pieces in the flat rate box for a total of around 6 Lbs. After shipping that would be around 1.50 a pound. I hope to be making a trip out there towards the end of January.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
yup....want a box
will get money to before you go.....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 06:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Don't forget you have to visit Sinai, specifically Sharm Al-Sheikh. I went there last summer and the marine life there is amazing! I mean there were literately Parrotfish and Lionfish right off of the shore of the resort. Make sure you go diving in Tiran, they have beautiful coral reef colonies in the middle of the sea.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7
Don't forget you have to visit Sinai, specifically Sharm Al-Sheikh. I went there last summer and the marine life there is amazing! I mean there were literately Parrotfish and Lionfish right off of the shore of the resort. Make sure you go diving in Tiran, they have beautiful coral reef colonies in the middle of the sea.
I really want to go there, but I don't know if there will be time. I am only going to be there for about 7 days figuring travel time. I did the nile cruise in February, but this time I think we'll just spend some time with the folks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode