Suggested plants for a Non-CO2 tank (1.75 - 3.75 wpg available) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 04:26 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Suggested plants for a Non-CO2 tank (1.75 - 3.75 wpg available)

I can run as little as 1.75 wpg, or as much as 3.75 wpg with my AH supply bright kits. I want to take the CO2 off my tank and not use CO2 at all for a while. I need a simple tank for now because Im so busy. I have taken all the riccia, etc. outta my tank, and have nothing but 8 medium size Anubias (Nana) in there now. I figured the Anubias would be fine in any lighting, even without CO2. But is there anything else I could add that would do OK, is easy to maintain, and would complement the Anubias well? Mainly, are there any foreground/carpet plants I could do? Thanks for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
In a 55 gallon with 1.75 wpg there are really no true foreground carpet plants that will do well. You could try some smaller Crypts but then they might well get too tall.

At this low light level you can grow most Crypts, Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, and a few of the stem plants.

And at 3.75 wpg on a 55 gallon you are going to need CO2.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Any of these I could get away with not dosing ferts at all? Is it possible to have a planted tank and not dose ferts? I dont really care if the plants "grow" per se, I just want them alive

Just curios, I'll still dose if I have to, but I would prefer not to because Im sick of dealin with algae when I can't take care of my tank in a timely fashion because I have 10,000 other things going on in life.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fert's won't necessary with that little lighting. If you add anything you can use fourish excel for a source of carbon for the plants, add it when you feed the fish.
Some other plants you could keep.
Lotus
amazon swords
amazon sword compacta (small nice mid-ground plant)
Valls

All need root ferts so stick 1/2 a jobe stick under them when you plant and forget, add a new one every 6months or so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired 2003
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 09:28 PM
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
The healthiest looking tanks I have ever had growing have all been less than 1 wpg on a 55, with no ferts. The tanks have primarily consisted on anubias, java fern and micro sword. Growth is measured by the 6 month mark, but have always been very green and with out algae. In fact the last one was with only an ugf. That is what I am trying to do now with my 125, only 60 watts of NO, over anubias, a few crypts and a sword plant. So far so good

Currently tankless for the first time in 24 years... Getting the itch again
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hop i agree. I see so many 55gal tanks with stock lighting that have plants that grow amazingly. They just take a long time to grow. But on this site the typical .5 wpg on a 55 does not cut it. If this is the case then why do these tanks have such lush growth? I am very confused about this.
My friends tank is the typical walmart 55gal and he has swords, java fern, hygro, java moss, vals, wisteria, bananna plant, onion plant, etc growing in his tank and none are leggy. They just grow really really slowly.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 01:27 AM

I have a 5g Eclipse "kit" with gravel substrate and stock lighting that I threw some basic plants in that were given to me. I'm amazed that nothing has died yet. I leave the light on for maybe 10 hours a day but that's about it. Meanwhile my 29g tank with my 65w Coralite (that I purchased to help grow plants) and many of the same plants is in the middle of algae bloom / green water.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 05:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A few months back I set up a 55 gallon with about 2WPG of Power Compact lighting. Foreground consisting of Dwarf Sag and Crypts (which oddly enough grow small and low and stay green compared to the high light tank in which they get redder and larger) Mid ground consisting of Anubias and Java Fern and background has some sword plants. Generally only 1 water change a month (30% of the water) and small weekly additions of Seachem Equilibrium for potassium and traces as well as some Seachem Neutral regulator (phosphate based buffer) for a phosphate source. So basically all that is done is feeding the fish and putting an 1/8tsp of each product weekly. Some of the plants grow better than in my high light tank. Especially the ferns and Anubias. Whats great is I almost never have to trim plants. Grow nice and slow. Maybe 2 new leaves on the Anubia every month.

Yeah low light works too... it's just different.

So yeah Dwarf sag, Micro chain sword, crypts can make nice foreground plants.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Another busy Mississippian...

Hey Gabe, I did the exact same thing as you, about six months ago. Removed the CO2, cut the light in half, and slowed down the dosing drastically. I have to admit, I'm enjoying he tank more than I have in a long while. I do miss being able to keep some of the more 'exotic' varieties. I think I miss Baby Tears the most. But I'm still able to keep a great deal of plants. Before Katrina, these were all still showing steady, slow growth:
- Anubias nana & coffeefolia
- Crypt Wendtii
- Giant Hygro
- E. tenellus
- Alternanthera reineckii (very slow, but much more compact with small internodal spacing)
- Rotala indica (ditto above)
- Vallisneria spiralis
- Microsorum pteropus (and narrow)

After spending 12 days without power during Katrina, I lost all of the Hygro and most of the Rotala and Alternanthera. I have a feeling I would have lost more if most of the growth was still the demanding foilage that is accustomed to CO2 and high light.

I never have to dose PO4 (no more buying Enemas!), I dose KNO3 once a month, and I dose Plantex CSM at half the rate I used to, after the bi-weekly water changes. That's it.
Another nice thing is that the E. tenellus doesn't grow 3"-4" tall like it used to with CO2. It barely tops out over 1"-2" now with just two 55w GE9325K's.

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode