horozontle or verticle? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
horozontle or verticle?

Ok, I just went to home depo and piced up everything for a DIY reactor. I bassed my plans on the "Rex Reactor"..

When I set everything up, do I plave the reactor verticly or horizontily?

this is what I'm using. Anyone see any probelms with it?

--------->shuks reactor

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 12:46 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
I put mine vertical, just because it was the simplest. Works great also

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 12:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
vertical.

you want the bubble to try to rise while turned. make sure the co2 input is towards the top of the reactor.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
IMHO, this is what has worked better for me. Reactor vertically mounted. Water in through the top, the CO2 tubing should be positioned most of the way toward the outlet on the bottom, this way as the bubble rises it fights against the water rushing down, and should dissolve. I ran the CO2 tubing in from the top this way the water flow isnít directly pushing into the CO2 tubing.

I canít really make out the black end pieces it looks like it has barbs for the water in, and out, and possibly the CO2?

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OK, here is what my reactor looks like. Im going to mount it verticly like you guys said.

What end do I drill a hole in to feed the co2 line in? The top or the bottem?

Does this look like it will work? The main reactor tube is about 18" long.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I sent min in through the top, and let it go about 2/3rds of the way to the bottom.
18 inch should be plenty for that diameter.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ohhh.. I see. You run the hose all the way the the bottem of the reactor? I thought you just drill the co2 line into the bottem cap of the reactor and let the bubbles run up the reactor? Or do I out the co2 line in the top so there is a big co2 bubble in the top and watter runs past it?

Here is what it looks like--------------->shuks reactor

does this look like ti will work?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks like it should work. I think if you flip the output connector around you might get better flow through the reactor.

Hereís my take on the CO2 tubing installation:
Drill hole in top, run 12 inches of tubing into the 18Ē reactor so that the end is close to, but not at, the bottom.
If you drill the hole in the bottom, the water pressure will want to force the water into the CO2 tubing.
If you drill the top, and only use a short amount of tubing you will just create a version of a bell diffuser by making a large CO2 bubble at the top.
If you run the CO2 tubing from the top all the way to the bottom, you run the risk of the bubble being shot out of the reactor before it can dissolve.

Hope this clears things up.

Walter

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I think if you flip the output connector around you might get better flow through the reactor.
Ya, I did that.. good call.

I'm just about to drill the hole in the top. I was wondering why wont the co2 bubbles just get sucked out of the reactor before they dissolve? What would be the diffrence if a ran the co2 line to the very bottem as opposed to leaving it a couple inches short?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode