Thank you! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you!

Hello,

I just found this site from a comment on another board and I have to say I feel like this is a great find! I have been lurking on the other forum for months without hardly posting anything. I just found this site about an hour ago and I have been pouring over all the articles and FAQs.

I thought I would post to say how excited I am to find such a great resource for planted aquariums.

I currently have a 65 gallon freshwater acrylic tank with some crazy plumbing. I purchased the tank from a coworker about 5 years ago with the fish and all. I lost one of the fish during transportation and have since lost two of my favorite fish in the tank. My two Jack Dempseys died a few years ago possibly from old age? One died and the other died shortly after. I think the second one died from a broken heart over the loss of the fist. Everyone says they are aggressive but they were living happily with all the other fish in the tank which I still have today. 2 Silver Dollars, 1 Plecostomus, a blue catfish and one brown spotted algae eating dude. That's the scientific name for that fish, by the way.

So I'm planning to start another aquarium. This time a freshwater planted and I have a lot of questions. I'm already finding the answers to some just by poking around here.

Just wanted to introduce myself and let you all know that I think this is a great site.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Welcome, if you dont find something you are looking for just post a question. I am constantally amazed by the knowledge base that is on this site!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Welcome to the site. Check out www.rexgrigg.com for starters. Hope you are aware that the silver dollars are notorious for eating plants, so they are best left in their own setup, rereading your post, I assume that is your plan.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure what will happen with my current fish. I am thinking about trying to find a good home for them along with my existing tank. I am not planing to start my new tank with my current fish. I plan to introduce just a few small fish at a time to get the tank started.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via MSN to capricorn77 Send a message via Yahoo to capricorn77
Welcome Todd!
This community is an amazing resource not just for knowledge, but for the support and willingness from everyone to help other fellow planted tank aquarists.
It says you're in Northern Cali...if you're in the Bay Area, you might want to consider joining the San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plants Society. Check this website for more details. The good thing about clubs, etc is that you get first hand knowledge and can join a group of passionate fellow enthusiasts! Plus you get plants free during our plant swaps and open houses.

Again, welcome and hope you find great information and support here!

member of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks capricorn,

I'm in the Sacramento area now. I grew up in the Bay Area. In fact I spent about 12 years working in San Ramon and I still work down there several times per year. I am also in Pleasanton once a month. Thanks for the link. I think there is a group in my area aw well. I can't remember the name off the top of my head but I think I visited their web site a few days ago, I don't think they were aquatic plant specific, just the Sacramento Aquarium Society, I think.

jart, thanks for that link also. It looks like another good resource. I found this site as well...

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/2637/

I have read just about everything on Hoa's site. I found it to be very helpful.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Congrat's & Welcome, find all your planted tank need's here, be sure to use the search button..it does wonder's

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via MSN to capricorn77 Send a message via Yahoo to capricorn77
Todd,
I think there is an aquatic society there in Sac as well. I know one of our SFBAAPS member is from Sacramento, and she's been to at least one (if not more) of our open homes and plant swaps.
Tom Barr is also a member of SFBAAPS, and has provided excellent information, support, and education for all the members. If you do make it to the Bay Area at least once a month as you mentioned, it may still be feasible for you to attend our open homes/plant swaps. Just a suggestion.

Hope you find all the answers that you need here!
Howie

member of
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Very true Howie. I will keep that in mind.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Well, I just finished up reading through Rex's guide, there is a lot of good information there as well. I'm think I'm getting ready to get serious about planning this aquarium.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode