3d background, removing top brace for install - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
3d background, removing top brace for install

hey guys I am in the beginning stages of making a 3d background and alot of examples i see people are making there backgrounds in 2 or 3 pieces for install this is all fine and good but you have to allow for the joints and then fix afterwards so that they are not seen my question is... why not remove the whole top rim do your work and reinstall the tip rim again my tank is new to me and has only been cleaned out so it is empty as i try and get organized to plant and get driftwood and such so this is my perfect timing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Because its a lot easier and safer not doing it that way

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
easier yes probably buy when we talk about safety is where i was lost...the tank is not going to fall apart while im working on it and i am absolutely not going to fill it until it is reinstalled and it does not take a brain surgeon to take the old silicone off that the lip is on there with in the first place and silicone it back together... this seems so simple that i feel as if i am missing something

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
The glass under a rim isnt finished. Cutting danger there. Chance of breaking or chipping glass. Incorrect reassembly. The lip will be destroyed when you remove it, and i haven't heard of replacements available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 01:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It can be difficult to remove the plastic trim on an aquarium without damaging the plastic or the glass. This will vary depending on the size of the aquarium and how well the trim was applied at the factory.

I found it easier to build my DIY backgrounds in sections and mount them in the tank. You can cut the background into sections using angled cuts to make the seams look less obvious or you can make overlapping sections to hide the seams.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Removing the rim alone sounds like more trouble then either making the background in the tank itself, or patching the joints after assembly.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I removed the rim from a 10G that I made into a sump. It's stuck on there really well and took a lot of work to get off. I heated the rim with a heat gun, then used an automotive windshield knife to gently separate the rim from the glass around both sides. You can't get to the top of the glass to cut that portion of the seal, so you'll have to use force to separate it. Heat it up until it's uncomfortable to touch, and slowly peel the rim off. It takes a good bit of force, even on a 10... anything too much bigger might pose a problem. Worked like a charm, and I did not damage the rim in case it needs to be re-installed for some reason.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:17 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Replacement braces are available from at least several of the common manufacturers and they are generally interchangeable. The real issue here is what others have touched on. It's a LOT of very frustrating work to get a brace off, even if you don't mind destroying it and buying another one. If you really, really don't want a background made in several pieces I'd suggest making it right in the aquarium.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode