How do you dose Dry Ferts? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (28/100%)
How do you dose Dry Ferts?

I've been trying to dose KNO3 and K2SO4 in both of my 29gallon tanks. I made a solution in water that, when adding 1 milliliter, would raise the potassium by 1 ppm and the nitrate by 0.5 ppm. Unfortunately there is definitely NOT 100% dissolution (is that the right word?) and there are many "floaties" in the mixture. Just wondering if this is typical, or if people typically just measure thier 1/4 teaspoons or whatever and add it dry? Please help me out, my algae needs to die!

EDIT: is it true that micros should NOT be mixed in and dosed with macros?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
water can only disolve so much into a solution. My suggestion is using less dry ferts to make the solution where maybe you have to add 5ml to raise 1ppm.

Or just disolve what you need to hit your target and add that amount into the tank.

oh yeah don't mix, dose macro and micro on alternate days.

Personally I measure what i need disolve into a picture of water and dump it all in at waterchange.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired 2003
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dissident!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident
Personally I measure what i need disolve into a picture of water and dump it all in at waterchange.
So you only dose once per week? Micros and macros?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

midweek I will redose 1/2 the orgional that i do durring waterchange. It's easy, not as scientific as what most people will do, but it works great for me.

Retired 2003
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
For my 29g I just take 1/4 teaspoon of KNO3 (tap water is already high), add some water into a 250 ml plastic bottle and shake it up and pour it in.

I also add about 1/4 tea of K2SO4 and do the same.

I tried the stock solution method and grew tired of trying to measure exact levels...and there was the issue of supersaturation points inside the bottles (the undissolved crystals).

Re-boot!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Ha! this is the record fastest advice ever!!! thanks guys.
Dissedent, I am like you in that I won't be dosing something every day. once/twice a week is plenty for me, and I think the types of plants I am interested in will thrive.
Georgiadawgger, sounds like you already ran into this problem with your 29g! I will likely be approaching it likewise, just mix it up in a seperate container every time I dose. This is a bit more hassle, but if it's only once a week then no worries
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I hate to bring this up due to the high amount of controversy it has caused...

It's normal for there to be some insoluable matter in agricultural grade chemicals. It shouldn't harm anything.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ead.php?t=7315 (Just ignore all the dramatic crap he posts at the top, the pics he posted though are good for reference.)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That is true, I'll have some undesolved in the container I use, I'll just add more water and dump the remainder in.

BTW Hot water will hold more (disolve more) than cold water, think of making jello its the same concept.

Retired 2003
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 09:55 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
use chucks planted aquarium calculator, i am new at this and it helped me out a bunch thanks to dissident, it tells you how much of the dry fert you can dissolve in a set amount of water and then how much of that solution you need to add to raise your ppm.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbrokman10
use chucks planted aquarium calculator, i am new at this and it helped me out a bunch thanks to dissident, it tells you how much of the dry fert you can dissolve in a set amount of water and then how much of that solution you need to add to raise your ppm.
Yes I have been following chuck's calculator, but I'm trying to work out a system that is EASIEST. I would like to make a solution that is easy to dose, but it seems that it is not possible due to saturation levels of the ferts
I do understand that ag-grade ferts have some impurities, but my "chunks" had better be more that just impurities because there is a lot of them!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Personally making b unch of solutions takes more time and meaureing IME. First you have to get the right solution mix then measure that for the tank. I always found it easier to weigh out what i need and dump it in when I do my PWC. That way I dont have to calculate how much of the solution I need (if i test the water once a month), i just use 2g phosphate or 1g Fe... besides i don't have anything that meaures ml that well anyomre .
Whatever you get into the practice of using and whatever works best for you do it everyone does something a little different

BTW Chuck's calc is a little off for target levels.
CO2 30-40ppm
PO4 3-4ppm
NO3 15-20ppm

Retired 2003

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode