green water and spray bar - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to daveonbass
green water and spray bar

Ok Two questions this time.

1. The sreious question is about my GREEN WATER. I mean it's Pea Soup. I can't see the three plants that are in the middle of the tank. Much less anything in the back. So how do I keep it from getting green. Is it the filtration, the lighting, or too much CO2? I have a 75 gallon tank, two Rena Filstar XP3 filters...one of which is now pumping out to an AM 1000 CO2 reaction chanber and then into the tank, a 5lb CO2 tank that is bubbling enough to keep the water between 5.9 and 6.1 (idealy 6.0)ph, with a digital Ph monitor to turn it on and off, a 48 inch Dual Satellite which is 260watts of light, and a 48 inch plant bulb from PetsMart that fits in a single fixture (watts unknown). SO What should I do to put an end to the green water? Will turning off the lights really help that much? Should I change all the water? (hope not) Or is there something I can add to the water to remedy this problem? I would like it to clear up so I can start aquascaping.

2. The dumb question is about one of the spray bars on the XP3 that does not have the CO2 flowing out of it. IT WISTLES!!! Anyone else ever have this happen? It's a high pitched wistle that won't stop. I was wondering if making the holes bigger would help? Right now I have it off and just have the jet on the end...but I would rather it be the spraybar in the long run. so any ideas on this rather funny annoyance would be helpful.

thanks in advance

dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to daveonbass
by yhe way don't ask about the specs other than PH. All my test kits are currently in the mail still...I only have a bunch of Reef test kits...so I had to order new ones for this tank...which only has three little test subject plants in there (in a 4 inch deep EcoComplete substrait). so the KH I can't tell yet. and since Petsmart doesn't sell a quick one for a little reference (they don't sell any), I just don't know yet.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
It's a nutrient imbalance. Many times GW is caused by ammonia. You did not tell us how you are dosing the tank so it's almost impossible to tell you what's causing the GW.

You can quiet the Rena by adding more holes or making the existing holes larger.

You have 300 watts over a 75 gallon tank. You need to have a dosing schedule and ferts on hand to make it work. If all you have is high light and CO2 then you are just asking for problems. I suggest you look in the algae forum and do a blackout.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode