aquariumplant.com quality - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
aquariumplant.com quality

I am getting ready to order all of my plants from aquariumplant.com, has anybody ever ordered from here before and do they have quality plants? Just wondering, i am getting ready to order $500 of plants from here and would like some piece of mind, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have ordered from them several times, never had a problem. Well packaged, good condition, and good selection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired 2003
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

The person who runs it posts here regularly under the name Opiesilver.

Their quality is very good. They are the main vendor I use. I just wish they would start carrying some of the rarer stuff!

(Limnophilia Aromatica, Eusteralis Stellata, etc.)

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 11:43 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I used them once and was happy. I would order from them again.

Rick
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 05:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I've used them before and was very happy with the plants and service.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 04:31 PM

I've ordered from them many times. I do suggest phoning in your order, so if anything's outta stock, you can drop it or substitute something else.

And like any vendor, many of their plants are grown emersed or semi-emmersed, so you should expect a bit of slow growth at first as they transition to submerged growth.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 02:56 AM

My one and only experience with them was not the best but it could have been a fluke I suppose.

First, I did call in my order, and was told everything I wanted was in stock. The order arrived on time, but as it turns out one of the species wasn't in stock, despite being told it was. They did give me a bunch of plants (two or three common species) to make up for it, but I didn't order them and they did the substitution without clearing it with me first. I found that a bit annoying really.

When the plants did arrive, again on time, they were packed a little too tightly into the box (one of those free boxes the post office gives you) wrapped in newspaper, the result of which was that about a third of the plants were too crushed to use, and the newspaper had disentegrated about as bad as toilet paper and took forever to pick apart. The ones that survived the trip were OK I suppose but I've gotten better quality from other places.

I did find it annoying that they were infested with snails, including common pond snails, but that seems to be a common problem, as I've had that with other places, the other problem is I experienced a really bad green water problem within 24 hours of planting what was left, something I haven't experienced before with other stores. Too a couple of weels to bring it under control, but I don't really know if it came from the plants or it just happened as a coincidence.

In their defense, I didn't call them to get things straightened out because I spend too much time getting problems other people cause straightened out and anymore, I give a new company one chance and if they screw it up, I just go somewhere else the next time. I have a business myself and I make sure I get things done right the first time because that's what I expect.

Eventually about half the plants made it, the rest just kind of melted off. It's too bad your in Omaha or I'd tell you to go to Aqualand in Des Moines, they usually have a good selection and Larry is quite the plant guru, I always check with him first before I try anywhere else.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had a similar experience with aquariumplants.com, with one major exception, I did call them and their response was pretty simple, "opie" drove down from South Dakota with the missing plants in hand and hand delivered them at about 9:00PM the same day I got my order. You should have called him, he would have bent over backwards to make it right with you.

It still amazes me to this day, opie is da bomb

I'm in Boone, Iowa, I know aqualand as well, larry spoke at the last club meeting we had in Des Moines, great guy, but everytime I go there they seem to be in between orders on plants, although I have gotten some good deals there on what they do have. You should check out our local club site at www.iowaaquaria.com, I think we're having a meeting Des Moines on January 4th, check it out if you can.

Hey james, ain't you got that big hawkin tank done yet? Yeesh, you've been working on that thing for how long now?

opening soon
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
IMO,anytime we heavily re-plant, that can bring on an outbreak of GW. Thats why I think so many of us keep a UV clarifier plumbed into the system, to clear things up fast. I usually leave my UV off except when I replant.

I've had good luck with Aquariumplants.com. But make sure they ship on a week without a federal holiday. My last order was sent out when there was a holiday on a Friday. I missed the shipment on Thursday (at my office) and the plants were about 8 days old when I got them on Monday. Part of that was my mailman's screw-up by not leaving me a note til the Saturday. Everything survived and is doing well. Even after 8 days, all the plants looked pretty good, except the Rotalla wallachii tried to start flowering...

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's trying to flower for us as well and underwater at that. Never seen it do that before.

Seriously though, if anyone ever has a problem with the plants we ship you please let me know either through a PM here or call us up and let us know. We will do right by you. If you happen to order a petite nana and you think it's too small to be a petite nana I suggest you do some research first but I won't go into that story.

The trouble with know for absolutely certain what we have in stock is that we ship out about 100 orders per day in the winter months and you can go from have 300 bunches of a stem plant to zero in about 5 minutes.

For those of you who are in Omaha, or the surrounding area, stop by Paradise Cove Pets in Bellevue. It's a visually amazing store and they carry a lot of our plants. Check out the stores mascot while you are there but do not wear a shirt with buttons if you do. I stop by there pretty often myself.

Del Goins

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 02:18 PM
Algae Grower

When I click on the Better Business icon on the Aquariumplant.com website, I get this message:

"This company's BBBOnLine Reliability participation has lapsed for one of the following reasons:
Non-payment of the annual BBBOnLine license fee or BBB membership dues;
Failure by the company to maintain its BBB membership, or abide by the program standards or dispute resolution requirements of the BBBOnLine program
For a current company Reliability Report, visit search.bbb.org. For other questions or concerns, please contact BBBOnLine at [email protected]"

I got the same message a year ago when I clicked on the icon.

Hmmm.....

Brian
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 03:25 PM

I've bought hardware twice and plants/shrimp twice from AP. Been satisfied all four times.

This time last year I placed a small order for some plants. For whatever reason, the wrong zip code was put on the package and it ended up in a city 50 miles away. Needless to say, it took five days to recieve the package. About one third of the plants were lost due to cold.

I called AP up and explained what happened. They said they would reship the damaged plants ASAP. Well, a week goes by and had'nt heard or recieved anything. Go out of town 5 days for X Mas and return home with an e mail and voice mail from AP. The next day theres a knock on the door with a package. They reshipped the entire order.

With it being X Mas I had hoped and figured they were enjoying thier families. Not to mention Dec is the worst time of year to mail anything. Under the circumstances I was really pleased with AP. It was a small order totaling maybe $40 bucks. They could have easily blew me off. Instead, they did thier best and resent the entire order.

For that, I will certainly keep them in mind for my planted tank needs in the future.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I've placed a lot of orders with a large number of vendors. There is not one vendor that I would say that every single transaction has been perfect for every single time. It's the nature of the beast... shipping, human error, live plants, unexpected weather, etc.

But I don't mind saying that AquariumPlant.com is the only vendor that I return to over and over again. If I ever order a plant from anyone else, it is only because AquariumPlant doesn't have it, and I can't wait.

And it also bears mentioning that I have received personal attention to my orders, and levels of service, from them that I won't even mention here for fear that everyone will expect the same over the top service every time.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via MSN to capricorn77 Send a message via Yahoo to capricorn77
When I first started the aquarium hobby, I ordered a plant package from AP. Ordering was simple online, and the plants shipped to me quickly, and there were PLENTY of extras! I didn't realize how much I was getting! The plants were very healthly and robust. I still have several of those plants in my tank after more than a year since I've ordered from them.

Since then, I've ordered from them a few times, and have always been very pleased with the products and quality.

With the pond snail issues, you can always soak the plants (if they're hardy enough) in a diluted bleach solution, or just pick them off by hand if that's easier.

Anyway, just wanted to say I have been very happy with my experiences with AP and will definitely order from them in the future if I need to.

member of
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 07:09 PM

Tom's Rating of them ===>>

last year, I purchased a couple dozen of anubias. Very happy with the size and quality of them.

Now, if they can get those 'new' plants in to sell

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode