adding nitrates - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
adding nitrates

hi all.
i have a 55 galon oscar tank and a 10 gallon planted tank. the oscar builds up nitrate quickly (to about 40ppm in a week), and the ten gallon has very little nitrate. i know that the plants need intrate, so could i just put some of the oscar's water in as a fertilizer? both tanks are healthy, so im not worried about diseases.

thanks for helping me be cheap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 06:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
It is still good to do a healthy dosing of KNO3 or a similar product, and if you have a high light co2 injected tank I would recommend still dosing it.

If not, then the plants may do all right with just natural NO3. Wouldn't hurt to do a 1/4 recommended dosage every few days though. Fish wont mind.

Don't switch out the water between tanks regardless of not caring to take the risk of disease. One day you may regret ignoring that. Parasites can be nasty if they make way in with your Oscars (and if you happen to be feeding live foods the risk is definately there).

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 12:29 AM
Planted Member

Depending on your lighting and need for extra nutrients, you would be better off dosing a mix of all Macro and Micro nutrients for your plants.
A healthy tank is base on a balance of light, fish, plants and nutrients. In the case of nutrients, this means N,P,K and Traces.
If you have a low/moderate light level an all-purpose fertilizer would be a good option.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 04:34 PM

First off, not a great idea. Just because the oscar isn't showing signs of illness doesn't mean his tank water is pure.

Secondly, how many ppm of nitrate are you wanting to move? 10gallons is roughly 1/5 the capacity of the oscar tank. So to get NO3 up to good levels (10ppm) you'd need to replace the entire 10gal with 10gallons from the Oscar tank. That sounds like a hassle to me, compared to 1/8th tsp of KNO3 dosed in the 10gal tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode