Utricularia Gibba took over my hc carpet, what to do? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Utricularia Gibba took over my hc carpet, what to do?

So I just found out today that what I thought was just weird side shoots growing out of my hc carpet was in fact an invasive plant called Utricularia Gibba. I've been letting it grow in there for almost two months now and it has now completely interwoven with my hc carpet. I attempted to remove it all by hand earlier and quickly realized that I would never be able to get all of it out, it is literally everywhere. Is the only solution now to get rid of my hc carpet? I was also wondering if anybody knew whether the Utricularia would inhibit the growth of the HC? Thanks for any help you can provide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
This is an invasive plant which will wrap around things and smother it. Noth much you can do to remove without upsetting and potentially resetting your efforts at carpeting HC. sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
This is an invasive plant which will wrap around things and smother it. Noth much you can do to remove without upsetting and potentially resetting your efforts at carpeting HC. sorry.

Thanks for the quick response, thats what I thought Guess I will pull up the carpet and try and remove it all by hand and replant and start over. Guess this is a learning experience, next time if I ever see the stuff I'll know what it is

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
It's a beautiful flowering carnivore, they don't make good accent plants in an aquarium though.

Neocaridina morphs and oddballs make my day!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water flow will kill it. Direct as much flow you can at the carpet. HC will stay put if it's rooted but Utricularia in general melts in high flow water. I discovered this when I hung Utricularia Vulgaris, which is more sturdy than this one, on my spraybar. It melted and detached from the bar.

You will most probably spread the damn thing as there is nothing but manually removing it you can do. You can, however, make a mesh cage of some sorts to have it caught in it. You mince it with flow than collect the remains in the mesh and take out the mesh.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Redo the carpet. I had it infest my 20g L mixed carpet...no removing it all once it's in there decently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Ouch, I feel for you!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode