want to start a planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
want to start a planted tank

I have a empty 30 gallon tank and want to turn it into a planted tank. I don't know of any specific type of plants I want but I would like some that require medium to low lighting. I really want something carpet like and will be dense and grow a lot and grow fast. Then maybe something to grow on drift wood and some big plants for the back of the aquarium. So what are your suggestions for plants and lighting? As for Co2 would the Plant Gro Co2 Natural System be enough for a 30 gallon and plants that require medium to low lighting. As for substrate would Seachem Flourite be good and do I put a layer of gravel or sand on top of this or not? I have no idea what I would get for fertilizer so I need help there too. These are all of the question that I can think of right now but i am sure I will be asking some more.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 02:21 AM

I think a lot of your questions can be answered by reading Rex's guide. www.rexgrigg.com
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 06:07 PM

No, the Nurtafin CO2 system is not enough for a 30 gallon.

Flourite is fine, but if you add sand the sand will just fall to below the flourite and be lost.

As for plants and fertilizers, do some reading, lots of info here.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
For any of the carpet plants like Hemianthus micranthemoides you would really need a bit more light (or it least they would do a lot better). But more light could require pressurized CO2. If you stay around 2.5 watts per gallon, you could use the Hagen Natural CO2 system coupled with some Seachem Excell for a decent CO2 addition. And even green or sunset hygro (or such bunch plants) can make a nice carpet, albeit with a bit larger leaf size.

BTW, if you are shopping for a new light, I would consider the super efficient and very bright new T5 lamps with parabolic reflectors on each tube. Like the Tek light by Sunlight Supply. I really like mine. But these bright of lights would practically require use of pressurized CO2, unless you purposely under utilized them by using only 1 bank of two lamps, instead of both banks... with plans for adding pressurized CO2 using both banks at a later time.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Sorry my bad its a 20g long I was looking at this http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...d1=1843;pcid2= for lighting, is this enough to grow plants that require medium to low lighting? Is the Plant Gro Co2 Natural System enough for a 20 gallon? As for plants I am thinking about Hemianthus callitrichoides for the front of the tank. For the middle of the tank i am thinking about Rotala rotundifolia maybe. For the back of the tank I am looking at Corkscrew val. Also maybe a piece of driftwood in the middle with java moss on it. Are these good choices? I am open to suggestions too on plants.

Steve
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Yeah the light is fine. A little brighter AH Supply 55 watt (they have a nice reflector which is much brighter) would cost you a little bit more at $61.00, lamp included. http://www.ahsupply.com/ But you would have to build a little wood enclosure. Or buy one that AH Supply has made for their kits. I use one on my 26 gallon. BTW, the rotalla will grow quite tall and prolific. More like a background plant, IMO. Ludwegia repens, or L. palustris might be a nice midground plant. The nutrafin CO2 system is fine for a low/midlight 20 long. bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode