Moving - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Jim

PTrader: (0/0%)
Moving

My wife and I just bought a new house and are going to be moving in about a month. It's only a five minute drive from where we are now, so transporting everything won't be too bad but I'm trying to figure out the best way to transport my discus. I think I'm going to take the opportunity to replace my gravel mixture with a more "high-tech" substrate.

My plan is to set-up a 20G tank with one of the two canister filters that is currently running on my 85G. I assume this will maintain the bio filtration, thus limiting the stress to my fish. I can more easily transport the discus in the 20G tank and give myself some time to get my 85G set-up the way I want.

Question - if I'm setting the tank up from scratch but keeping my Eheim canister with the tank for continuity, will the tank need to "cycle" as normal to avoid ammonia and nitrite spikes?

Thanks,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
It will probably go though a "mini cycle" if you replace the substrate.

If you replace the substrate I would either purchase some Bio-Spira or cram the tank full of fast growing stem plants.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 01:01 AM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Or contact one of the guys from SFBAAPS to house them for you for the time being. I'm sure there are willing members who would babysit them for you for the time being.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 01:16 AM

NO, you can't move a 20 gallon tank loaded!

You cannot move a 20 gallon tank full of water -- bad, bad idea! Hopefully I misunderstood, but that is a recipe for disaster. It is hard to keep from twisting a glass tank when it is being carried with water in it. That is why you should always move tanks empty. The glass does not do well in twist stresses, too easy to rupture a seal and you may not know it when it happens, it may fail later.

You have two choices.

One, bag the fish. Do not feed for 2 days, bag each fish separately, carry in a bucket. I'd use a 20 gallon bucket, or large ice chests.

Or, two, just use the ice chests, large styrofoam ice chests are fine and you can get a new one and not worry about whether it has had cleaners in it. What you want to be sure of is that the fish do not swim around in circles like inside a large bucket, they can scratch an eye that way. They only need enough water to cover fins and let them be upright during transport, you can add more water at the new place. Probably good to do that, in case the water feels different to them.

When I moved large cichlids across town, I added Amquell to the ice chest, plus a heater and airstone when I got them home, and I took the time needed to set up the tank, it takes a few hours to do it really. The filters were cleaned and the media removed to a shallow ice chest with an inch or so of tank water in it to keep media moist not submerged. Everything was fine when we got it all set up.

That 100% water change on set up gives you a head start on any ammonia bump, and if the fish are unhappy, a dose of Prime will help them feel better.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Wow.. I thought I was the only person crazy enough to move in winter!
I was directed to an article on the SkepticalAquarist.com (by Anona, I think!) that gave in great detail how to move fish.
I'm moving in a month to a house about 15 minutes away, so I'm kind of in the same boat as you, just with hardier fish. I just hope I don't have to redo all my plantings..... The thought of totally emptying my tank, even of the plants and substrate doesn't sit well with me.

30g planted with cories, white clouds, Harlequin Rasboras ,ottos.
10g planted with glowlight tetras and an otto.
Outdoor pond with one common goldfish and comets.
5.5g with endlers.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
been there, done that. Don't even think of moving your fish in a 20 gal aquarium. I moved a couple blocks away so I thought, no problem! Just drain the 25 gallon tank to a couple inches (i only have teeny fish), tank in car, carry it in new apartment, done. Nine months later and I'm STILL in the doghouse with my husband about it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Jim

Thanks for the advice everyone. I should clarify, the 20G tank I was talking about moving would be acrylic, not glass. I would bring the water level down as far as I could to make it manageable, in terms of weight. After further reading, it does look like bagging the fish individually and moving them over is the best thing to do anyway.

Thanks again,

Jim
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Planted Member

I recently moved a 90 gallon, but I had a holding tank for the fish at the old location. Moving the substrate is the fun part. Get a paint drop cloth and spread it in front of the tank. Then use a big pet-food scoop to scoop out the substrate into heavy-duty plastic trash bags. Fill them only as far as you can easily carry, which is not as much as it looks. Then double bag them. Move the tank empty. You can rinse the substrate in a 5 gallon bucket prior to replacing it in the new location, or not.

TW
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

How about moving it with the substrate in? I'm talking about a 30g here....I'd rather not unplant everything and totally clear it out....

5.5g with endlers.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Planted Member

I wouldn't, one bump on one corner into something hard, and it's very likely you'll damage the tank. Also, when handling the tank you will be shifting the weight stress in ways it's not made to take.

TW
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Another really handy thing to help with moves are coolers with wheels. When I moved from ATL to VA, I put the substrate into a cooler and all the fish into another. All the plants were placed into a styrofoam cooler with a little water in it.

IMO, its better to be safe than sorry when moving a tank...even as small as a 10g with substrate and water can be risky.

Re-boot!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Georgiadawgger:
Quote:
Another really handy thing to help with moves are coolers with wheels. When I moved from ATL to VA, I put the substrate into a cooler and all the fish into another. All the plants were placed into a styrofoam cooler with a little water in it.
I couldn't agree more. I used coolers when I moved. Coolers are insulated (obviously) and their handles are made to lift heavy loads. Just duct tape the lid closed when in transport.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sigh ok.... I bought a few of those styrofoam coolers today. I'm pretty sure my neighbors have some coolers on wheels that I will rinse very carefully. I dislike moving as it is.... I have a LOT of plants in my 30g!
Oh well.... thanks for all the info!

5.5g with endlers.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, I moved my pond and those fish today. It went pretty well. The only thing I'd say so far is that when you transport the coolers, don't do what I started with which is putting them on the car seat. That was too high of a center of gravity and water was sloshing everywhere. I put them on the floor, with the longest part running from the front to the back of the car. The water didn't slosh as much then.
I found some kind of fry in my pond also when I was netting the other fish out! Didn't expect that!

5.5g with endlers.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode