Surface agitation - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Surface agitation

Hi guys,
As it is popurlarly believed surface agitatin lets ut the useful co2 in a planted tank,how do i prevent surface agitation which the outlet of my canister filter is making? its hrizntally placed on the waters surface,please do help
Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 09:14 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Drop it lower into the water column so that it doesn't agitate the surface.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
and it is not possible to push it further down? that is really your only option.

otherwise, you will just have to start cranking up your co2 to account for the amount lost from the surface agitation.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Banned

the problem is the straight tube cnnecting the elbow and the horizontal tube is limited i cant push it further down,so any ideas????????
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 09:09 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
to go very slightly off topic, i have been wondering the same sort of thing - if the surface of the water is agetated, you will loose the C02 right? but dont u need to have the surface agetated to allow 02 into the water? if it is still on the surface dont u reduce the oxygen content?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
If you are sure what you are doing, just cut of excess pipe and reconnect the elbow. I think your lfs or perhaps "home depo" should carry some replacement tubing should you need it. A saw would certainly help.

In my opinion, some surface "agitation" in the context of some water movement, but not the type where you have springkling water is necessary to have in a very very small amount. Try to set it that you still can see a water movement on the surface, but no real agitation. This way you can avoid a film coating of protein from building up on the water surface (which can block light by a small amount and prevents water from "breating").

The matter of balancing O2 inside your tank while maintaining CO2 is a relative for each tank, depending on the population, photo period, plant load and your rate of CO2 injection. If you see your fish gasping in the morning and checking your CO2 level to be 30-40 ppm, then you will need an aerator on a timer to work on the off photoperiod time (when the lights are out). This is better in terms of practicality and pH swings. Just leave the CO2 running day and night. When you have the lights on, usually there will be no need at all for additional means of adding O2 into the tank. All will be supplied by your photosynthesizyng plants.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 09:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

As long as you have good and thorough flow through your tank, surface agitation should not cause significant CO2 loss.

I get a lot of heat for advocating airstones in covered tanks... I measured my CO2 loss due to airstones to be about 3 ppm. I have a Eheim prefilter as the intake on the bottom corner and a spray bar on the top opposite corner.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 10:44 AM
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Maybe I shouldn't even open my pie hole, but...
For the last couple months, I've been running my 5" bubble wand for 12 hours per day.
My outflow creates some mild surface movement, too.
I simply have the Co2 turned up enough to offset, I guess.
Everything seems to be going fine in the tank and Ph monitor constantly shows 6.6, which is what I had before the bubble wand.
Anyway, one less thing to fret about, I guess.
...Also, Happy Bird-day, everybody!

~Behold the Savior of mankind,
nailed to the shameful tree.
How vast the love that Him inclined,
to bleed and die for thee.~
Filstar #79
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 04:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbels
Maybe I shouldn't even open my pie hole, but...
For the last couple months, I've been running my 5" bubble wand for 12 hours per day.
My outflow creates some mild surface movement, too.
I simply have the Co2 turned up enough to offset, I guess.
Everything seems to be going fine in the tank and Ph monitor constantly shows 6.6, which is what I had before the bubble wand.
Anyway, one less thing to fret about, I guess.
...Also, Happy Bird-day, everybody!
Compensating/offsetting for the co2 loss is all that matters, so you are right on the money.

Someone could argue it wastes co2 and you will have to refill more often... but, is it really so expensive that you have to worry about it? maybe if you were co2'ing a 200g tank, but then you probably have $$ anyway.

I let my surface agitation roll with no co2 worries.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode