Another Solinoid questin... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Another Solinoid questin...

OK, I finnaly filled my co2 tank for the first time. When I got it back it was frezzing cold. So cold that I couldnt touch it with my bare hands. Is that normal??

My next question is about my soliniod...
When I screw in my regulator and stuff, should I plug in my solinoid before I release the black valve to the co2 tank? If I dont will it blow my soliniod. I dont know what the pre set is for the regulator, but If it's set all the way at 60 PSI will it blow out like crazzy? Can my needle valve handle pressure up to 60 PSI???

I think that I'm supposed to plug in the solinoid so that the valve is open. If the solinoid is not getting power then the valve will be closed and I'm not sure if the solinoid could handle 60 PSI ? It wouldnt be a problem if I knew what my pressure regulator was set at, but I dont. It could be turned all the way up to 60 PSI.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Yes, the cylinder should be very cold and probably covered with condensation as it warms up to room temperature.

Release the black valve very very slowly so that the pressure doesn't all hit at once.

My regulator is a set-pressure regulator (the Azoo) so I've never had to deal with a regulator knob. Someone else will have to comment on that variable.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would hope it could handle 60psi, considering thats what the pressure will be around when the valve is shut at night.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired 2003

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:06 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to daveonbass
the solinoid had better be able to handle that...or I think you got jipped. But serioulsy...you should be able to just attach it to the CO2 tank and release the valve...I'm sure it will hold. and yes a decent quality needle valve...(i.e. METAL needle valve) will hold that pressure down without busting. Attach all components...plug it in...if the solinoid opens then you'll hear a click...then slowly release the main valve...then see what the pressures are. Now just slowly adjust the needle valve to the desired bubble count...and you will be closer to being set...=)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks everyone, I got it all set up now...

My tank was filled up a couple hours ago, but my pressure regulator reads only 700 PSI in the tank?? why is this? shouldn't the guy fill it up to more like 1500 PSI? The pressure on the way out is set at 10 PSI. Is this good or do I need to change anything? I adjusted my needle valve to carefully controll the bubble rate, witch is now at about 40 bubbles per min.

The only thing I'm worried about now is watter siphoning back into my solinoid when the power cuts off. If I were to make a DIY bubble counter would it solve this problem?

basicly my two last question are...

1) why does my regulator only read 700 PSI in the tank?

2) will a DIY bubble counter prevent watter from siphoning back into my co2 tank?

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Matak
Mine only reads 800 psi. So 700 psi should be Ok. I got a dry erase marker (the kind used for whiteboards) and made a mark on the gauge where the tank pressure was when I first got the tank filled. I read here (somewhere) that it should remain there as long as there is liquid CO2 in the tank. Get it refilled when it drops below 500 psi. Someone correct me on that if I am wrong.

Yes, a bubble counter usually has a check valve in it to prevent water from backflowing into the CO2 tank.

Steve

Filstar advocate #29
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, a bubble counter usually has a check valve in it to prevent water from backflowing into the CO2 tank.
I'm made a DIY bubble counter that has no check valve. WIll this still work? Is ther any cheap check valvs that I can buy at home depo or something?

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuks
I'm made a DIY bubble counter that has no check valve. WIll this still work? Is ther any cheap check valvs that I can buy at home depo or something?
Saw these at Big Als online. They should be common at your LFS or bigblock pet store.

Steve

Filstar advocate #29
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You are not going to find a check valve at Home Depot. And the cheap plastic ones used for air lines fail quickly.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what if I just use my bubble counter without a check valve. It's just a plastic bottle that has a long input hose that goes under the water line, and a short outlet hose that doesnt touch the water. you all know what I'm talking about right? The worst thing that could happen would be that the bubble counter fiils with water, right?

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
I would use one of those cheap air line check valves you can get at your LFS. These will work for a while. I have one and it has not broken down in several years.

These will work until you get a better one. W would like it if someone will post a quality check valve.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphish
These will work until you get a better one. W would like it if someone will post a quality check valve.
Here's one. Shuks mentioned that he(?) needs a bubble counter anyway. I think that cheaper bubble counters are available as well.

Steve

Filstar advocate #29
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matak
Here's one. Shuks mentioned that he(?) needs a bubble counter anyway. I think that cheaper bubble counters are available as well.
That has the same cheap "bladder" check valve in it that will NOT withstand the high back pressure if you're using a powered external reactor (driven by XP3, 2026, etc)

IMO since you've invested in the pressurized setup you may want to purchase a small "insurance" on it with a quality check valve. Either a brass one or the Dennerle http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=DE1111

If you're going to run it without a check valve...do not turn the system off...let it run 24/7...you'll still run into a backflow problem if there's a power outage.

Re-boot!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wow.. This mornig the water almost flowed back into my solinoid. The bubble counter didnt work at all, it just filled with water. I cant believe it. The needle valve was a little wet, but I checked everything and its working fine. I cought it when the water line was rite at the tip of the needle valve. Close call. I just went to my LFS a couple hours ago and got a 3$ check valve. I think I've learned my lesson.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds like I'll need to get a quality check valve too.

Steve

Filstar advocate #29

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode