crypt melt question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2005, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
crypt melt question

hello, i dont know if this is my first post on here or not, but at the very least it is one of my first posts.
i have a few different types of crypts in my tank: balansae, lutea, wendtii, and some willisii. the lutea and wendti have pretty much all melted. the others are still doing good.
anyways, i dont know what caused this. the only thing that has changed with the tank is i the temperature on the tank raised about 5 degrees over a course of a day shortly before this happened. it was an intentional raise and is now maintained at that new temp. i wouldnt think this would do it because i have transferred these crypts from tanks that have varied more than this and have not had them melt.
i guess my question is if this temperature change over the course of a day could be what caused this massive melt, or what else could have possibly caused this. i guess i am just mad cause i have family coming in for thanksgiving and the tank is gonna look horrible now, and i would like to figure out how to stop this in the future.
my tank specs are....co2 at 25-30ppm, nitrates 10ppm, phosphates 5-10ppm, ph 7, kh 11, and all of these measurements have remained constant.
i have 4x55 watt pc bulbs over the tank and ecocomplete substrate. it is a 75 gallon tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 11:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Mastacow,

I doubt it's the temperature change that caused the melt. It's more likely the transition from one tank to another, that'll do it just about every time. Crypt melt is natural and is generally not a problem unless you've got friends or family coming over and your plants are disintigrating before their eyes.

Did you do a big water change and/or a rigorous maintenance on the tank recently? I've had a significant change in my maintenance routine wipe out a whole tank of crypts before. Consistency is the key, it's not so much what you do, but that you do it the same every time. I've also found that Calcium helps keep crypts from melting quite as bad.

Regards,
Phil
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

hmmm, that is interesting that you mentioned calcium can help prevent this, because i was thinking that i am having a calcium defficiency in there. i am hesitant to believe it with a kh of 11, but i think that other ions can cause an increase in kh possibly.(but i may be mistaken on that)
i have not recently moved those plants, it is just that i have moved a couple plants from tank to tank before and not had them melt.
i have not done any big maintenance or large water change recently and those plants have been in their position within that tank for about 6 months now. the only change in the tank has been the temp increase and a delayed change in light bulb. i had a bulb go out about a month ago and it took me two weeks to replace it( got caught without a replacement and it took forever for me to get one in) but that bulb had been in there for a little over a week when the melt happened.
ah well, i guess this is just one of those weird things that happen. thanks for the help though. the bummer is i was having all kinds of good growth before this with pearling all over the place and then phtzzt crypt melt.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 02:35 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
calcium can help prevent this
I think Phil said he believed calcium helped reduce the amount of melt he experienced. He never said calcium would prevent Crypt melt.

Crypts can be fickle. Sometimes a change of aquarium can trigger a melt, sometimes a change of water in the same aquarium. As long as the roots are still viable, the plant will almost certainly rebound. Trim off the melted leaves and sit back.....they will be back!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 03:58 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastacow03
i was thinking that i am having a calcium defficiency in there. i am hesitant to believe it with a kh of 11, but i think that other ions can cause an increase in kh possibly.

Do you mean you have a GH of 11? Ca and Mg are the major ions that contribute to GH. Carbonate (HCO) ions determine KH and have pH effects.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 09:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ah! You changed a light bulb, that can do it easily. Your plants were used to the lower amount of light given off by the old bulb before it blew. Waiting two weeks and then replacing it will surely surprise/shock the plants into melting. I've had it happen many a time myself.

Regards,
Phil
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

geesh, well that is a bummer. thanks for the problem solving of this melt. i have extra bulbs left over now so i hopefully dont have to worry about a melt for this reason again. thanks for the help, and yall have some good holidays.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode