Massive phosphate OD - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Matak
Massive phosphate OD

I use empty 500ml water bottles to store my fert solutions in. I also use an empty water bottle to pour the measured solution into, just prior to adding it to the tank ( usually add about 200ml of water to this bottle before adding the fert solutions). My last EI dosing day was 11/19/05. As I went to gather my fert solutions this morning I noticed that the K2PO4 bottle was empty and the water bottle with the once every two day mix was sitting there, ready to be added to the 29g tank! This means that I dumped about 250ml of K2PO4 solution into my tank. Horrors! No wonder I noticed a layer of thick green algae on the surface of the water the last two days. But surprisingly there are no fish deaths (not even odd behaviour) and no other algae outbreaks to speak of. What did or didn't happen?

Give me a minute and I will calculate just how much phosphate I added.

Steve

Filstar advocate #29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok, I added the equivalent of about 1 ml (0.2 teaspoons) of dry K2PO4 to my 29g tank. I doesn't sound like alot. I hope.

Steve

Filstar advocate #29
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 04:37 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
If thats all you added then it's not too bad. About 7-8ppm in your 29 gallon. You could reduce it by performing 2-50% water changes. The first one will get it down to 4ppm, the second water change will get it down to 2 ppm which is certainly acceptable.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matak
I use empty 500ml water bottles to store my fert solutions in. I also use an empty water bottle to pour the measured solution into, just prior to adding it to the tank ( usually add about 200ml of water to this bottle before adding the fert solutions). My last EI dosing day was 11/19/05. As I went to gather my fert solutions this morning I noticed that the K2PO4 bottle was empty and the water bottle with the once every two day mix was sitting there, ready to be added to the 29g tank! This means that I dumped about 250ml of K2PO4 solution into my tank. Horrors! No wonder I noticed a layer of thick green algae on the surface of the water the last two days. But surprisingly there are no fish deaths (not even odd behaviour) and no other algae outbreaks to speak of. What did or didn't happen?

Give me a minute and I will calculate just how much phosphate I added.
Why don't you just get a little of the water and take it to your LFS they should be able to test the amount of PO4 for you.. I know testing is "against the better judgement" of a EI doser but it does not hurt to test when failure and uncertainty is at hand. Dont just guess or calculate maybe you did not dump all that PO4 in. TEST IT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaphish
Why don't you just get a little of the water and take it to your LFS they should be able to test the amount of PO4 for you.. I know testing is "against the better judgement" of a EI doser but it does not hurt to test when failure and uncertainty is at hand. Dont just guess or calculate maybe you did not dump all that PO4 in. TEST IT.
I'm very convinced that it was K2PO4 that I dumped in cause the bottle is clearly marked. Now I know what that means, it means that I qualify as a certified dufus
(Main Entry: dufus
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: an incompetent and stupid, though well-meaning, person; also called doofus)
because I poured in the wrong container in spite of the fact that it was clearly marked. My only defence: I started a new job for the winter. It was dark and I'm not used to getting up that early.

Anyway, I am certain of the amount that got dumped in, so I'm going with monsieur Lemay's advice.

It's kind of an interesting exersize, seeing how little adverse effect that much phosphate didn't have on fish, algae etc.

Steve

Filstar advocate #29

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode