Using a salt water tank to fresh - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using a salt water tank to fresh

Well thanks to Katrina my 29g reef bit the dust. And my insurance is not going to cover it. But any way, back to my point.

Can I use this tank for fresh water. I had a friend who tried this and had problems with his water chemistry. He baught a new tank and his problems went away. Does the salt water or additives seep into the glass? Or was he an idiot?

I mean I aready have a 29g tank, stand, plummed for a sump, an IceCap 660 and four 65W CF bulbs. two are 10K and 2 Atinic. I'd probably convert them to use regular tubes. It will support 4 PC,VHO,HO,t-8,t-12, and standard bulbs. That should provide enough light for anything I want to plant.

But has anyone ever done this sucessfully?

Or an I asking for trouble?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 01:09 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
I think he was an idiot

Just kidding... but I don't see how salt "seeps" into glass. Isn't like salt is poisonous or something, as long as you do some basic cleaning (and of course don't use the substrate) there shouldn't be any problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 01:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

In this hobby it seems like the "tank" is the cheapest part. A 29 gal with hood is ~$50 here. In my sig you can see I run a sump on my planted but this is more for asthetic reasons (less in the tank) than filtration. Many others do not like sumps due to outgassing of CO2 (planted run nutrient rich, tell your "reefer" friends that you are ADDING nitrate!)

So that is a long way of saying you can also cheaply "de-plumb" with new glass.

Moved to Tucson.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singulari
Can I use this tank for fresh water. I had a friend who tried this and had problems with his water chemistry. He baught a new tank and his problems went away. Does the salt water or additives seep into the glass? Or was he an idiot?
I had my 75gal set up as a nice reef tank for 2 years. Then I got married and decided it would be a little more economical and less time consuming to move to planted freshwater. I made this change about 6 months ago and things are going great. In fact, I have come to regard planted tanks as even cooler than reef tanks. All that to say that I have not had one bit of trouble using my tank for freshwater after having used it for saltwater. Just make sure you give it a little rinse with the garden hose before starting over with a freshwater setup.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 08:15 PM

converting a saltwater setup to fresh

Silicone, glass and plastic are to the best of my knowledge inert. Salt disolves and with a good cleaning should be almost non-existant. What might possibly remain would quickly disolve and be removed via WC's.

Coraline (sp) ( hard has a red color) algae (real hard to remove) was probably present and could possibly have an effect but IMHO no.

If it was mine i would clean it, run the system with freshwater for a week, do a 100% WC and add some inexpensive plants and see what happens. BTW contact me offline for some plants.

one thing to note, it has been said that the filters commonly used on reef tanks (wet dry) will drive out a lot of the C02 if you are adding it to the tank.

rich green
milton ma
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 09:51 PM

vinegar goes a long way to remove hard water (salt) build up and even coraline algae. soak, scrub, rinse..repeat..
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

reef stuff

All the tank has is a drilled overflow, and a refuguim/sump. Never ran a wet/dry, never needed it.

So would you guys recomend using this as sump to put the heater, filter, and top off system. Or should I cap it off?

Or is there another way to use the hole that is there?

It's a 2 inch hole in near the bottom side of the back glass.
What about a closed loop?, Can't do that with the pump I already have, don't think a mag 7 can run out of water. (i'll have to check)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 12:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
There are articles about people using sumps for planted tanks. The big concern was outgassing of CO2. It turns out that if you cover the sump (sealing is better if you can), you can minimize that effect. IMHO if you can keep equipment out of the tank (heaters, co2 reactors, etc..), all the better.

Do a google on CO2 outgassing, and Wet-drys.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

Last edited by tazcrash69; 11-18-2005 at 12:10 PM. Reason: additon
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 07:12 PM
kam

JBL has a bio-degradeble tank cleaner that works well on calcium.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning

I usually used vinegar to clean stuff from the reef tank anyway. It usually takes everything off real easily.

I made a plexi cover for the sump/refiguim that only had holes for the pump, return, skimmer and top off system.

Now does the off gassing happen because of the turbulence of the water?
The return line returned into a tee that was under water so there was little bubbling.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
Use the sump, it is extra water and hides all the equipment. No worries with outgassing if you keep the turbelence in the sump down. Run the intake plumbing to the bottom of the sump and use a 90 degree to direct it across the bottom.
Use sponge filters with a powerhead:
http://www.jehmco.com/PRODUCTS_/FILT...e_filters.html
Talk to John and describe your setup, he will hook you up with a nice sponge filter.
Use a powered reactor and place it as far down in the sump as possible but keep it vertical. When you plumb the sump install a T with a ball valve on the intake line to hook up a hose for water changes. Put a check valve on the return line to allow a higher water level in the sump. Let me know if you need pics.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2005, 06:16 AM
Zen

A good vinegar scrub will do you fine...and after that wash it out with water and regular (non-marine) aqarium salt.

That should kill off anything.

I have use tanks back and forth for marine and fresh many times with no problems.

But as you know over time salt will weaken seals and ware out equ faster than freshwater.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode