The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cloudy glass / mineral buildup / vinegar doesn't work

5K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Kubla 
#1 ·
My 110 tank has a glass brace in the center, was used when I got it. The brace is pretty cloudy with what looks like mineral buildup, and when I first got the tank I soaked and scrubbed with a razor it for a few days with no visible progress in clearing it up.

I've sort of lived with it to date but I notice the plants directly below the brace don't grow quite as much as the rest. Is there anything else I can try? I have some glass stovetop cleaner I might give a shot... Just need to figure out some way of preventing any from landing in my tank.

#4 ·
Hm thanks. I think I'm going to lower the water level by about 40%, then use blue painters tape to tape up plastic painter's sheeting inside the tank (above water surface, hanging over edges of tank, taped to the outside) and double-tape all the seams around the brace...

after that precaution, I'll try using one of those magic erasers & some baking soda.

#6 ·
Without any pix and assuming it's actually calcium buildup and not organic, I would tape off the water as you described and then wet a paper towel with muriatic acid (Lowes - $9 a gallon) and it should clean up lickity-split. I dunno about Kaboom or erasers on that stuff. I do know that muriatic acid will eat it right up!

#7 ·
WOAH, muriatic acid. I have a 4oz left in a 128oz container. Always afraid to use it, but never thought of using it for this purpose. I need to educate myself on the proper use of this stuff so I don't end up on the news.

Good to know it's only $9/gallon. I need more to clean the brick wall once spring arrives.

#9 ·
You're going to hear all kinds of "YOU CRAY YO" baloney about using it. A modicum of common sense (don't sniff it - don't get it in your eyes - if you spill it wipe it up etc) you'll be fine. The stuff is used to lower the pH in swimming pools and "pH Down" aquarium treatments it's so "deadly".... I don't bother using gloves. If you have sensitive skin then do so. Otherwise use at your discretion.

#19 ·
I have been having a difficult time getting this build up off. I soaked paper towels in vinegar and left them on the glass over night.... No change.

So today I went out and got some muriatic acid (HCl), and even with that (diluted of course) I am not seeing much of a difference.... Suggestions? Tips on what I am doing wrong?

I diluted the muriatic 1:10 (give or take 1-3%), have been using a razor blade, and a glass aquarium scrubbing pad.....

I attached before and after pictures. The non-rotated pic is the "before". While Yes there is some difference, I think it is mostly due to different camera angles.

Attachments

#20 ·
If you're going for Magic Erasers just do a search for melamine foam. You can get 100 on Amazon for as cheap as $10. A Magic eraser is a sponge with a piece of melamine foam on each side. The plain foam blocks aren't quite as sturdy but they clean the same for a fraction of the price. I bought a bale that I keep under the kitchen sink and use for all kinds of stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.