Increasing CO2 levels - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Increasing CO2 levels

Hi there

I have been battling BGA for well over a year I have had lots of good advice From here.

I tried to go with low CO2 but within a few weeks the BGA started coming back and is now as bad as ever. We have bitten the bullet and bought a CO2 system. It is not pH controlled, I only have the CO2, regs, solenoid and a dupla diffuser.

We have started to use Tom Barr's EI index and are adding KNO3, MgSO4, KSO4 and trace elements with iron. The plants are now growing like crazy and pearling like mad (well the giant vallis anyway). We prune about 1lb of vallis a fortnight so it's definately growing much better. Only problem is the BGA is back and growing like mad too.

We are about to carry out another black out but need some advice on how to get the CO2 concentration up. It seems to be the only thing missing as far as I can tell...

Water

1 x 30% water change per week with added Seachem Equilibrium and bicarb added to give GH 4 KH 4. Today's parameters are GH 4, KH4, NO3 5mg/l, (just about to carry out water change and add ferts) PO4 2mg/l, pH 7.6 to 7.9

Do I simply need to increase the bubble rate to get the CO2 up to 20-30ppm or am I doing something else wrong? Currently running 60-80 bpm on a 150 US gallon tank.

TIA

Discus tank

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
go here https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14103
the chart will tell you what your co2 is in ppm..
and yes,you will have to increase your bubble rate
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

deleated........

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
You might have to move to an inline reactor to get your co2 levels to where you want them to be. That is a very large tank.

jB
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 06:49 PM

I have a calculator that lets you enter in any two values (from pH, KH, and CO2) and calculate the third. It works in several types of units like degrees, ppm, or meq/L for KH. CO2 Calculator.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

HI Guys

I have the calculator, I have seen the chart. Really need to know how to physically get more CO2 to dissolve in the system. As I said I have a dupla reactor which I bought on ebay. Turning up the CO2 doesn't seem to bring the pH down much more than 7.5 Does anyone have a link to a good inline reactor?

Where is the best place to install my type of reactor? I currently have it attatched to the outlet if one of my cannisters at the top of the aquarium.

Thanks

Sharon
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
It's very easy to build your own reactor. Of if you want and know what size hose barbs you need I can glue one together for you since I have it just sitting in the corner all ready to be assembled.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode