Power off question... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
Exclamation Power off question...

Our power company is shutting off our cities power for ~3hrs. Will my fish be ok for that long? Will the bacteria in my filters be ok? I'm worried

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
You should be fine, just watch your temperature. In all honesty, the water temp shouldnt drop that rapidly unless its really cold in the room. with your filter turned off your element will stay wet, so the bacteria should be fine, even if you were to (unlikely) have some die off of bacteria, the remaining will re-colonize rapidly. Your fish should have no problem surviving that short of a time period, and your plants won't even be affected. if you have pressurized co2 turn it off during the power outage to prevent a pH drop.

Planted tanks are all about shrimp.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I've had power outages longer than that and everything was perfectly fine. As long as you are not terribly overstocked your fish and filter should be fine for at least the time it will take them to do repairs or whatever.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:15 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you have some Prime on hand....

If you have some Prime on hand, I'd dose the tank once, it won't hurt anything. Otherwise, just watch tomorrow to be sure the fish don't seem bothered. My discus would notice the power outage and I'd do a water change the next day, the other tanks wouldn't notice.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
The Weather's Here

Thanks a lot for the quick replys Thats what I wanted to hear

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've had power outages that lasted 3-4 days long (gotta love PG&E!) after a storm with no problems. All I did was scoop a couple of cups of tank water and let it pour back into the tank (for surface agitation) a couple times a day and add some Prime. A canister filter could be problematic if left off for a day or two tho, I would be afraid of stagnant, toxic water developing inside the canister that would then get shot into the tank when the power goes on. A coupla hours tho shouldn't hurt anything.

P.S. Battery-operated airstones are your friend! $10 bucks online!
P.P.S. an inexpensive UPS can keep your filter (no lights, no heater) going for 1-2 days. However, they seem to come with spouse-annoying *BEEEP*s that go off every 30 seconds. The one I have cost $40 at CompUSA, it gets to annoy my spouse a lot thanks to crappy electric company who can't handle piddly California weather.
P.P.P.S. Guess who's power was out for FOUR hours today because it was... um... overcast?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
The Weather's Here

lol. I already have a battery powered air pump for my puffer tank, but not the other 4

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode