Mr Rigg, may we please please see a tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mr Rigg, may we please please see a tank?

A question for Rex - you kindly give so much information to people on the net, is there anywhere we can see some of your tanks? I've read so much of your info that I'd love to see it in practise. Please?
Cheers,
Thanks,

Foss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 03:01 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Strange request for a first post, Foss.

I am not sure you are going to see any photos of Mr. Grigg's aquariums. Rex has never proclaimed himself to be an aquascaper. If asked, I think he'll humbly tell you he is more of a plant grower.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, long time lurker....only had a 10 gallon, but just got my 30 gallon up and running, so getting a bit more serious. I've seen tanks that people do with all the liquid ferts etc, but I was hoping to see some pics of tanks done Rex's way (with the dry ferts etc) just as a comparison. I was just curious to see the growth,lushness etc...any excuse to look at tanks. Although I don't think it would be an option as getting dry ferts like that here in Australia is about a easy as getting blood from a stone, not to mention eco complete or most other things. Postage from the US would be a bit much I think.
Even if you have to drive an hour or two in the States for supplies, still consider yourselves lucky. We do have nice beaches though.
Thanks for the reply,
Cheers,

Foss

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 03:36 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Well, welcome aboard long time lurker!

Try contacting www.gregwatson.com. He may be able to send the fertilizers to you.

I'd love to see some of those beaches someday!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
Strange request for a first post, Foss.

I am not sure you are going to see any photos of Mr. Grigg's aquariums.
Yeah, I look forward to seeing some pics, but after reading some of his old posts, I look forward to fruitcake season about as much...Are we going to see some in the Swap and Shop section this year?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First true attempt at a planted tank.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Yeah,you gotta do it Mike. My Dad's from Houston and he came here and never left. My cousin's just come over from Mexico
and we can't get rid of him. We've got some far out native fish also.
Regards,

Foss
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I'm not making Fruit Cake this year. At least I had no plans to do so. I still have about 5 rum soaked loaves from last year left.

As for pictures. Sorry. I know my limits. I'm a farmer. I grow aquatic weeds. And either my tank is bare from just having been pruned or it's an over-grown jungle.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

No worries Rex, thanks anyway. While you're here....do you have all your growing tanks setup as a single system all plumbed together, or do you have to keep seperate water params for different species of plant? I was looking at my spare room at home thinking one day I'd like to set up a wall of tanks growing different plants like a small aqua farm. It can be tricky getting good plants here. I've done some smaller 'urban styled' vegetable setups using hydroponics (legal vegetables only) but it can be a pain because of all the different nutrient requirements of each plant species. Does aquatic farming get as complicated?
Thankyou,

Foss
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Since I have tanks in three different rooms they are all individual tanks as far as water. And each tank is a bit different. Not because I plan it that way it's just the way it ends up. And I'm really glad for that right now as the 29 gallon has a really bad BGA attack going. I know it's not nutrient related as it gets the same amount of dosing as every other tank in the house. I guess I need to study up on treating BGA.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I can see the benefits of keeping pathogens and problems isolated to one tank.
Cheers
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 06:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I dare say the majority of folks with planted tanks over 60 gallons use dry ferts (and maybe some wet like Seachem Iron) instead of liquid ferts. Its the cost savings, like $2.00 for a pound of K and is so easy to dose at water change.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosfate
Even if you have to drive an hour or two in the States for supplies, still consider yourselves lucky. We do have nice beaches though.
Foss
I consider the US aquarists lucky since: 1) they tend to get hardware cheaper, 2) it is easier to arrange trades of plants without dealing with cross-border hassles, 3) they only have federal elections every 4 years.

However, sometimes Americans will post, you Canadians are lucky, you have access to Tropica plants. Which I do. Not that this is necessarily better than getting a healthy bunch of plants from a PT member.

To Rex's comment that he is not much of scaper: you are certainly not alone. I realize that I will never be much good at it either, but I just like the look of healthy dense growth and the fish darting in and out through the weeds and playing in the current. I will always be satisfied with that. Which is a good thing, I guess.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:28 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Yeah, long time lurker....only had a 10 gallon, but just got my 30 gallon up and running, so getting a bit more serious.
I hope you are not implying that a ten gallon is not a serious tank. Ive had and seen beautiful ten gallon tanks, and to successfully grow maintain and aquascape such a small platform takes some true skill. Nanotank keepers are no less serious than those of us with the time space and money for larger endeavors.

Planted tanks are all about shrimp.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 04:53 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Quote:
A question for Rex - you kindly give so much information to people on the net, is there anywhere we can see some of your tanks? I've read so much of your info that I'd love to see it in practise. Please?
Cheers,
Thanks,

Foss
Hey Foss!!! Can we see what your working on. Please start a Photo Album!!! I have one but have not added to it for a while. I'm charging the batteries for my camera as I type. Will post updated pics tomorrow. Or you can search for Aquaphish's 40 gal. in the photo album section to see what I have but it is several months old.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4funwfish
I hope you are not implying that a ten gallon is not a serious tank.
Absolutley not. By serious, I meant the cost, not the skill. I have a ten gallon in my studio that I love. As for the nano's I actually think some of those are a lot harder to do well than a large tank. Not to mention much smaller room for error with water parameters.

Aquafish - will do shortly, I'm at the tail end of needing all the stem plants I started the tank with. Soon as I can actually put in the plants I want there'll be pics a plenty.
Cheers,

Foss

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode