How do you prevent food from getting on your stem plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do you prevent food from getting on your stem plants?

My flake food always seems to get stuck in the new stem plants(first time with stems) I bought. Is there a way to avoid this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 10:42 PM

If the fish are not eating the food before it sinks, aren't you feeding too much? When I feed my fish, almost none of the flake food sinks, they eat it immediately.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Try to limit how much food you drop in. I usually drop a small pinch and if they eat that in no time flat, I drop another small pinch. Also, decent water circulation should just about eliminate this problem. That, and limiting the amount of food you put in. On a separate note, it isn't such a bad thing if some food is getting to the bottom if you have bottom feeders (cats, loaches).

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I usually have my otos eat anything on the leaves or my cherry shrimps.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
i feed sparingly once a day, so everything gets picked clean lightning fast.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmm I only feed them alittle bit but they still wont eat. I only feed them once a day too. They must be nibbling on the plants
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

I made an inexpensive feeding ring by cutting off the top part of a styrofoam cup. This allows the food to stay in one place until the fish can eat it, rather than getting strewn all over the tank by the current.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 11:43 PM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04
I usually have my otos eat anything on the leaves or my cherry shrimps.

How do you do that? Do you command them to EAT THE FOOD!!!!

|
|
|
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 12:20 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jart
I made an inexpensive feeding ring by cutting off the top part of a styrofoam cup. This allows the food to stay in one place until the fish can eat it
Dang is that a good idea ! That is the problem I have with my angels, no matter what I do they sit in one place and eat from there. The food, as sparingly as I try just floats off and they will not chase until I leave. By then it has been churned by the water flow !

Im gonna try that jart... it sounds like a perfect and simple solution !

thanks man !

Ya learn something new every day... even us old farts. LOL
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not sure if my fish are stupid or what because I put the food in the tank and it just floats and the fish wont go up and eat it. I have to poke the flakes into the water for them to notice it.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
OK, as stupid as this may sound, I had a routine for before feeding. Kind of like a Pavlovís Fish thing.
I used to tap the glass lid of the tank before feeding, and my angels, bala shark, and danios would circle the side of the tank I fed on.

It took a long time for this though, and you have to be consistent. But it doesn't take much to try.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 02:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
if you get some baloon mollied they will eventually find any food left over. They are massive eaters and your issues with food on stems will be over.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 03:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jart
I made an inexpensive feeding ring by cutting off the top part of a styrofoam cup. This allows the food to stay in one place until the fish can eat it, rather than getting strewn all over the tank by the current.
I am trying something similar using airline tubeing to keep riccia in place. Never thought about using it for food though
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyfunk
I am trying something similar using airline tubeing to keep riccia in place. Never thought about using it for food though
Yes you could do the same thing using a short piece of tubing, and joining both ends with an airline connector to make a ring. But I have found that after a while the tubing doesn't lie as flat as one would like, and the food can slip underneath. I leave my styrofoam ring floating, but I suppose you could afix a suction cup to it so it doesn't travel in the current.

Glad you like the idea Buck; we all know you have been quite a help to the rest of us in the past.

tazcrash69, I seem to recall the idea of someone keeping a bell next to the tank, and ringing it before feeding. No reason to think that that wouldn't work as well.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 05:08 PM

I got this as an impulse purchase. It works.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode