fish gasping at surface - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
fish gasping at surface

I woke up this morning to my fish gasping at the surface of the water, all of them. I have heard some people use bubblers at night to increase oxygen levels. What is it about this that works, is it the surface agitation created when the bubbles surface? Could I just inject air from an air pump into my tank similar to how I do hte c02? Will it be sufficient if its just a bunch of small bubbles, or does it need to be a vigorous stream of bubbles to really churn up the surface of the water.

I will be making changes tonight to make sure this doesn't happen again, and want to avoid making mistakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Since I switched to running my co2 24/7 I added an airstone with microbubbles (whatever they are since they're not really micro). The air pump clicks on for about 2 x 1 hr intervals at night (midnight-1 am and 3-4 am). When I tested the pH in the morning...no swings and never had any gasping.

Re-boot!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
Since I switched to running my co2 24/7 I added an airstone with microbubbles (whatever they are since they're not really micro). The air pump clicks on for about 2 x 1 hr intervals at night (midnight-1 am and 3-4 am). When I tested the pH in the morning...no swings and never had any gasping.
Why did you do it when you switched to co2 24/7? In order to outgas some co2 so your ph does not drop to low? From what I have read co2 levels will not affect the amount of disolved oxygen a given volume of water can hold, is that correct?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewburk
Why did you do it when you switched to co2 24/7? In order to outgas some co2 so your ph does not drop to low? From what I have read co2 levels will not affect the amount of disolved oxygen a given volume of water can hold, is that correct?

No real answer to why, just to play it safe I suppose. I am running my co2 rate pretty high (on the obnoxious side) and my plants have responded very well (the best I've seen them). As far as the co2 levles not affecting the amoun tof dissolved oxygen, I have no clue...not into that type of science. All I can say is I have no gasping...co2 remains constant...low bubble rate...great plant growth...healthy fish.

Re-boot!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 07:08 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
My fish were all at the top of my tank this morning too. First time ever, and I run my Co2 fairly high. I checked my ammonia levels, and it was >0. Something during my water change last night triggered it for unknown reasons. So, before suspecting low O2 levels, check for a possible tank recycling.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 08:00 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
i had the same problem even though my co2 setup has a ph monitor/controller. i have an airstone that goes on when the lights go out at night. i figure that since the plants are making co2 anyway at night, the outgassing is not such a problem, and it's a lot easier on my poor fish!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 03:27 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
BSS, check your pH, if you damaged biofiltration, low pH is possible, check calibration of pH controller also.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 04:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewburk
As far as I understand, if the co2 levels are higher than that of the fish's gills then it is really dificult for them to exhale. Could be wrond, but it makes sence to me

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode