Iron Supplement - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2002, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
When I bought my first plant I was sold Hagen Plant Gro Iron Enriched 0.15-0-0. Then I was told on a forum that because I had so many fish vs. plants I didn't need to be feeding the plants. I agree with that, but this is a nutrient supplement and there is no Iron in my tap water.

Later I tried the Plant Gro and got new, brighter lighting at the same time. And got a huge Brown Algae attack which I posted about.

The Brown Algae problem has been solved with just a couple of Otos, and so I am now wondering if I should be using the Plant Gro.

The 5 ml per 10 gallons the instructions recommend breaks down to 5 drops per gallon. But the instructions don't say anything about how much to add after the initial amount.

I figure I would just add 5 drops with each gallon I put in with a water change. But this doesn't account for iron used up; it just puts the right amount into tap water.

Also, my tank is fairly lightly planted so maybe it should only be 3 drops per gallon? And 7 if it's heavily planted?

Maybe I shouldn't be doing any of this figuring and I should just add some when the leaves look too yellow and I think they should be greener?

Thanks for some guidance,

Clueless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2002, 02:38 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Although it might not be an ideal method - I just add iron when it seems the plants are deficient. You might have a surplus right now, having only a few plants, so keep it at a 3-5 drops a week and you might never see an iron deficiency. If you do, just increase dosage. I wouldn't stop the dosing altogether, though.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
Old 11-11-2002, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree with Sam, the last thing you want is a heavy load of nutrients... unless you like fighting algea. I made that mistake and learned the hard way! :hehe:

Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research

Old 11-11-2002, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

What does an Iron deficiency look like? Yellow leaves?
Old 11-11-2002, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I find myself quoting info from "The Krib" for the second time today. The following is a chart I've found to be most helpful. I hope you can find the info you need here. :hehe:

Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

Old 11-11-2002, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I find myself quoting info from "The Krib" for the second time today. The following is a chart I've found to be most helpful. I hope you can find the info you need here.

COMMON SYMPTOMS OF NUTRIENT DEFICIENCY IN AQUATIC PLANTS
Element Leaves to first show deficiency Symptom

Nitrogen: Old, Leaves turn yellowish (*)

Phosphorus: Old, Premature leaf fall-off
Similar to nitrogen deficiency

Calcium: New, Damage and die off of growing points
Yellowish leaf edges

Magnesium: Old, Yellow spots (*)

Potassium: Old, Yellow areas, then withering of leaf edges and tips

Sulfur: New, Similar to nitrogen deficiency

Iron: New, Leaves turn yellow
Greenish nerves enclosing yellow leaf tissue
First seen in fast growing plants

Manganese: (**) Dead yellowish tissue between leaf nerves

Copper: (**) Dead leaf tips and withered edges

Zinc: Old, Yellowish areas between nerves, Starting at leaf tip and edges

Boron: New Dead shoot tips, new side shoots also die

Molybdenum: Old, Yellow spots between leaf nerves, then brownish areas along edges. Inhibited flowering

(*) The plants may also become reddish from the presence of the red pigment anthocyanin.

(**) Although Jacobsen does not differentiate between new and old leaves, David Whittacker reports from a hydoponics book that boron, calcium, copper, iron, manganese and sulfur are immobile elements and whose deficiencies affect new leaves.

How often are you doing water changes? This usually renews the nutrients your plants need.
:hehe:

Old 11-11-2002, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

I was overstocked and doing 25% twice a week. Now I have only 6 small fish in my 10 gal and may go longer to once a week.

There is NO Iron in my tap water, so water changes will lessen and Iron in the tank rather than renew it.

GulfCoastAquarian suggested 3-5 five drops of Iron supplement a week. Since the instructions say to start with 5 drops per gallon, I would think I would need 12 or so just to keep up with a 2 1/2 gal water change. This is where I get confused.

I probably have very little Iron now as I did many water changes after having an attack of Brown Algae... solved by Otos.

I think I should start with a very small amount... maybe 3 drops in each gal of new water coming in with a water change. And watch the plants and learn as I go.

I expect too little will produce yellow leaves and too much will produce algae... though the Otos would love it!
Old 11-11-2002, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

In that case I would add 5 drops , wait 24hrs and then test it. After a few tests you will get a feel for how often it will be needed. :hehe:

Old 11-12-2002, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

When I was sold the Iron supplement described above it said to put in 5 drops per gallon to start, but nothing about maintaining a certain amount. But it did say to buy an Iron test kit.

I've tried a gadzillion stores and no one sells one, so I expect that not many people do test for Iron.

You mention testing as if it's a regular procedure. Are you talking about an Iron test kit? And if so, can you recommend one?

And what results will indicate a good level of Iron in the water?

I'm not very good at judging how much to feed my fish but at least they will sometimes act hungry. And you can see how much they eat.

I think plants must be much more difficult in this matter and a scientific method, i.e., testing, sounds great to me!

Thanks, Peter
Old 11-12-2002, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had a hard time finding one to. Finally found one at " www.DrsFosterSmith.com" . I'm not sure if you can find it online but I know if you request a catalog its in there for $7.99. They have a master test kit I've been thinking about but its rather expensive and I want to get my CO2 preasurized setup first. He He... :hehe:

Old 11-14-2002, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Can you tell me when I get my Iron test kit what will indicate a good level of iron? Or will the instructions tell me all I need to know.

Thanks for your help,

Peter
Old 11-14-2002, 02:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The kits usually have a chart showing you what your test results indicate,if not email me and I'll be glad to help. :hehe:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in