New Co2 up and running... another billion questions
OK, I finally received my new MA957 and SMS122. I drained my 46g completely, (fish went into a bucket) and mixed in another bag of flourite with the existing flourite/gravel. I washed all of the plants, the log, and the rock; removing as much hair algae as possible. I dropped in the calibrated ph probe and got an initial reading of 8.1. I pried open the intake basket of my canister a little and stuck the silicone Co2 tubing in. Then I proceeded to attempt to adjust the bubble counter... this took a very long time. During this process there as a lot of free flowing Co2 going on... if you've ever adjusted on of these I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Before I knew it, the ph had dropped to 6.8! I added a little tap water, and baking soda and over the course of several hours the ph came up to 7.4. I went bed at 3:30am, and got up at 9am, the ph was at 8.1. I tested the ph in the fish bucket (8.0) and I dumped the fish and final 5g back in. I replanted the plants, which look pretty ragged at this point. I got the bubble count to about 1bps, and plugged the solenoid into the controller. The ph has dropped from 8.1 to 7.7 in about 4 hours, and is holding at 7.7. Greg Watson ferts on order.. haven't arrived yet.
Here's the current chemsitry and conditions: (from fresh Hagen kit)
PH - 7.7 (checked against test kit)
KH - 270ppm (can this be right!?, from baking soda? is this safe for the fish?)
CO2 - (according to Chuck's calculator) - 9.039ppm
PO4 - 1 mg/L (is mg/L the same as ppm?)
NO2 - .3 mg/L
NO3 - 5mg/L
Fe - 0 mg/L
Fe (chelated) - 0 mg/L
Ca - 60 mg/L
NH3 - .1mg/L
NH4 - ? (confused about this one)
NH3-N - .081967 (NH3/1.22)
Water temp - 78.5F
4" substrate 50% gravel/50% flourite
Outflow tube is pointed down, tank surface very still
1. What are ideal parameters considered for the elements above?
2. How do I make adjustments if necessary?
3. The tank is cloudy... is this from the baking soda? If so, will it clear up?
4. Tiger Lotus has sprung a small leak, anything I can do for this?
5. Should I use micron filter only in Magnum HOT? (I've removed the bio-wheel)
6. The micron filter is really dirty from flourite, rinse in tap water replace?
7. ph has been holding steady for several hours at 7.7, is this the only/best indicator of CO2 in water?
8. Does it matter where the ph probe is located in the tank?
Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to help!