Fertilizer? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
Fertilizer?

Ok, the tank is 20g high, 1x65watts power compact lighting and possible hagen co2 system, i'm only planning to have glosso, jave fern and maybe two or three stem plants, what fertilizer do i need? i have no clue whatsoever, and please lists the names and/or brands of product to buy, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 07:12 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
since I just started the whole planting scene Im doing a weekly dose of seachem flourish. but most (and more experienced) people here would probably recommend PMDD. I'll also probably start using PMDD once my flourish is all used up.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoymand
since I just started the whole planting scene Im doing a weekly dose of seachem flourish. but most (and more experienced) people here would probably recommend PMDD. I'll also probably start using PMDD once my flourish is all used up.
YEP!!!

I use CSM+B and all other stuff to mix PMDD per Gregg Watson's site.

Used to use Kent Freshwater Plant and other Kent Products but it was running up the $$$. You will get enough dry ferts from Greg Watson to fertilize a very long time at a very reasonable price. It's the way to go.

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Because i don't have a clue of what combination of fertilizer to dose it's better to use the store bought bottled one's, maybe when i understand all these chemicals i can mix them myself, if you can, how many bottled fertilizer i need and names please, i mean one's that are ready to pour into the tank, thanks again.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Actually most experienced people here would NOT recommend PMDD.

What they would recommend is dosing with bulk dry nutrients. The PMDD formula lacks phosphates for one and is actually not a decent method in the opinion and experience of many people.

I think I did a pretty good job of covering fertilization in my Guide.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Actually most experienced people here would NOT recommend PMDD.
I was just going to say the same thing. People with experiance, and people who want to gain experiance uasily dont use PPMD. With PPMD, you dont have very much controll over the amount of ferts you can add. To really get a good dosing scedual goin on, you should order you dry ferts individualy.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 06:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuks
I was just going to say the same thing. People with experiance, and people who want to gain experiance uasily dont use PPMD. With PPMD, you dont have very much controll over the amount of ferts you can add. To really get a good dosing scedual goin on, you should order you dry ferts individualy.
What is PPMD??? Or do you mean PMDD?? Is it not a method of taking dry ferts and mixing them in solution?

Is adding dry ferts better than adding it in soulution?

Which way would be best for smaller tanks such as a 20 gal that TINY the original poster has?

From what I have read adding dry is good for very large tanks because it is easy to measure say 1/2 teaspoon or what ever need you have for dosing. But adding a very small amount dry is very difficult to measure. So I make a mixture in solution using the many fertalizer calculators on the 'net. You will be able to better control your dosing for smaller tanks such as a 20 gal.

For example how much FE or KNO3 or K2SO4 or Magnesium Sulfate or KH2PO4 would one add to a 20 gal tank if adding dry? I add all of these to a 40 gal tank in solution mixed per the following fert calculator: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm

For the beginner I would think that adding all the above would be better achieved when in solution. Then when the newbie has confidence then if they want to advance to adding dry ferts is really up to them. But to start out with a 20 gal tank and adding dry ferts is more difficult. Adding in solution will give the same results as dry providing the solution is properly mixed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 06:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
What is PPMD??? Or do you mean PMDD??
ya, sorry.. I meant to say PMDD.

Dosing dry and dosing liquid solutions are the same thing. You can get better accuracey if you make a liquid solution just because most people dont have 1/16 tsp, and 1/32 tsp messuring spoons.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 07:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuks
ya, sorry.. I meant to say PMDD.

Dosing dry and dosing liquid solutions are the same thing. You can get better accuracey if you make a liquid solution just because most people dont have 1/16 tsp, and 1/32 tsp messuring spoons.
So as for TINY' the original poster, would you agree with my original post of mixing in solution such as PMDD or even individual solutions like I use will be more benificial instead of adding dry like you implied in your first post.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You are missing the point. PMDD is a complete all-in-one, missing some items, solution. Get the idea of PMDD out of your head.

Mixing solutions is fine. But don't call it PMDD. It's NOT PMDD. PMDD stands for Poor Mans Dosing DROPS. And if you read the PMDD paper you will see that merely mixing solutions IS NOT PMDD.

As for dosing small tanks. Get a small gram scale and use that. Easy to do and inexpensive.

I don't mix any solutions any more. What I do is mix my KNO3 and K2SO4 and my Plantex up and then dose that. Makes it very easy.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Planted Member

The Fertilator over at APC provides a guide to dosing both dry and solutions. Dry works best for large tanks, solutions work best for small tanks. It's past time to drop the PMDD moniker, I don't understand why Greg Watson continues to use it, beyond the name recognition. He should come up with a new one and copyright it.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...fertilator.php

TW
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Ok, i will remain confuse until i actually start seeing or dosing fertilizers, anyway, for what i understand i need the macro and micro nutrients, can i just buy FLOURISH NITROGEN, FLOURISH PHOSPOROUS AND FLOURISH POTASSIUM for MACRO and FOURISH EXCEL for MICROS?, do i have the right idea? i'm sure later on i will catch on.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
Purchase dry Fertilzers from Gregwatson and be done

Hello Tiny,

Instead of buying the flourish line of products, everyone here has recommended purchasing your fertilizers dry from www.gregwatson.com because it is comparable to the flourish products, lasts longer (1+ year), and runs at a much cheaper rate. You typically need 1lb bags of the following products from Gregwatson.

Macros:
KNO3 - Nitrate
K2So4 - Potassium
KH2PO4 - Phosphate

Micros - Trace Elements:
Plantex CSM + B

You will dose these dry fertilizers according to baseline measurements for your tank, found as a sticky in the Water Parameters Forum (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=21944). It is as simple as 1, 2, 3. And lastly Fourish Excel is for co2 addition, and not a trace element. You probably need to purchase excel if you are not pumping in co2 from DIY, Hagen or otherwise.

Hope this clears things up for you.
Good Luck!

Last edited by krazykidd86; 07-19-2006 at 04:33 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

I'll probably end up getting that, thanks
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 12:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
You are missing the point. PMDD is a complete all-in-one, missing some items, solution. Get the idea of PMDD out of your head.

Mixing solutions is fine. But don't call it PMDD. It's NOT PMDD. PMDD stands for Poor Mans Dosing DROPS. And if you read the PMDD paper you will see that merely mixing solutions IS NOT PMDD.

As for dosing small tanks. Get a small gram scale and use that. Easy to do and inexpensive.

I don't mix any solutions any more. What I do is mix my KNO3 and K2SO4 and my Plantex up and then dose that. Makes it very easy.
You are correct Rex. I did refer to PMDD when I should have refered to mixing solutions, which I do for all the items I mentioned. And I do mix individually and not in one soulution as PMDD.

For small tanks such as a 20 gal do you think it will be easier to mix in solution instead of adding dry ferts.?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode