Snail IDs? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Snail IDs?

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong but I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what snails these are? They do clean the glass but the vals have some circular holes and I'm not sure if they just ate the damaged parts (the leaves very in pretty bad shape when they were put in) or if they actually munch on healthy plants. Any ideas?

(sorry for the bad pictures, it's the best I can manage)

Yes! I snuggle with rats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 06:00 PM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
The last snail looks like a Ramshorn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 03:08 AM
Algae Grower

It looks like Physa spec seeL
HTML Code:
http://www.applesnail.net/content/snails_various.php#Planorbidae
I had one that must have come in on some plants. Then I saw another one, and then another, and then I saw the clear gel with the eggs on my Windelov, then more eggs, and more eggs, and now some small snails...

I am assuming that the eggs are from the Physa, but now I have also seen a ramshorn, guess its a never ending battle...

Working on setting up my 75G after a few year break thanks to a house flood.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 06:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
the top 2 pics are pond snails. I think everyone would have pond snails if it wasnt for loaches and other predatory fish. The last pic looks like a red ramshorn. I have both in my tanks.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
To confirm the others. First one is a Physa species. Second one might also be, but the foot colour hints to a Lymnaea snail, but it is hard to tell from that picture. Does it have same kind of tentacles as the Physa in first picture? Thin and long? If not and they are more flat and triangular, it's a Lymnaea. And third one is a ramshorn snail species.

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The first and second pic are of the same snail so Physa it is I actually tried to keep these guys around but they both died a while back and no new ones have appeared.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
It is true that even the common pest snails are rather interesting creatures. I have some "pest" species in my planted tank and they aren't damaging the healthy plant parts nearly at all (there's nearly no leftover food for them so the snail populations are small enough for them not to get too hungry), they mostly eat algae and decaying plant parts.

Here's some pictures of my pest and pet snails, I still need to add some species and an introduction for all of them. There's only common names in English, but I'll be adding an English version too after I get the Finnish one ready.

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wow rain gorgeous site, pictures and snails! The zebra apples and swamp ceriths are stunning, wish I could find some of those.

I'm actually Estonian so I can kind of navigate the site

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode