taking some suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
taking some suggestions

I have been scratching my head for almost a month now on what I should do with the empty space between the Amazon sword and the cyrpts... I have thought about anaubias, javaferns, lotus, and about every other plant out there. I considered more hardscape, but nothing seems to fit. So far the leader seems to be a red tiger lotus but I have had so little luck with finding good ones in the past.
Maybe there’s something I’m not thinking of…
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired 2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Matak
Right off, your tank is strikingly beautiful! I was captured by the thrust of driftwood tapering off into the sky. Your tank follows Amanos 3/5 rule nicely, both horizontally & vertically. The only thing I could think of would be to have a thin ribbon of red to the right of centre of the gap you want to fill, in the mid foreground. It should not reach the water line, rather stopping at about the 2/3 mark.

Steve

Filstar advocate #29
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 01:57 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
The aquarium look great the way it is.

The only thing I would consider doing is getting some Vals behind the wood.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
The aquarium look great the way it is.

The only thing I would consider doing is getting some Vals behind the wood.

Mike
Working on that, the wood gets in the way its almost tight against the glass at the substrate. I have been training runners from the valls over there but its been slow. Jungle valls are a little slower sending out runners than most valls I have kept, but those things get over 4ft awfully quick.

Matak gave me an idea, using a low-growing red plant from the middle sword and bring it to the center with a larger red plant to fill the gap. That way it bring it together... What forground plants are out there that will stay lower? I want to stay away from stem plants since that tank is so deep it is a pain to work in. For the taller red I may go with Alternanthera reineckii (yes I know its a stem). A red reuben sword may work but do I really need more swords in there?

Retired 2003
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I'd move the crypts behind the driftwood and let the hairgrass grow all the way. Where did you get that wood anyways? it looks perfect for my tank!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 05:17 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I am thinking the tank looks great the way it is ! Nice job.
If anything I would consider pulling the Vals to the left of the wood and adding a nice patch of rotala "anything" for a finer leafed definition to create a line and accent the beautiful wood..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 05:40 AM

What is that grassy plant on the right side of your tank, I like it, seems to be just what I'm looking for?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
I'd move the crypts behind the driftwood and let the hairgrass grow all the way. Where did you get that wood anyways?
No way.

The open space is what really stands out to me. Filling it with anything is going to throw that off. Adding something red is instantly going to make the red plant a strong focal point and the absolute focus of the aquarium, taking away from the wood.

The tank looks healthy and green. I'd look to add color via the fish at this point.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Planted Member

I would agree with everything else so far said in this post, however, if you are determined to add a plant, i absolutely love my red tiger lotus'. So far they have stayed nice and bushy and not grown tall like my greens or hybrids. the reds i have stay lush and short, and they are definitely a focal point.

Planted tanks are all about shrimp.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Matak
After some thought, I would have to agree with Momo. The open spot doesn't look empty and is well placed. If you do add something red to the tank, it should be subtly placed as not to instantly draw the eye.

Steve

Filstar advocate #29
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
if anything, i would put the red lotus in front of the crypts leaving the open space. I think it would be better tho to add another very small piece of driftwood by the crypts (sort of in front of the crypts but in a little still leaving a space between) I really think it would tie everything together without making things seem disjointed or taking the focus away from the main piece of driftwood.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for all the ideas and comments they were all appreciated and taken into consideration. I think I’m going to try a combo of driftwood starting in front of the crypts and going part way into the open space with some lace java ferns planted on them. I feel I want to only add color with wood, if I added reds with plants I would really have to add red plants in other areas to keep it balanced.

Retired 2003
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Now some anaubias on the right and left, add some lace java ferns. Let the hairgrass grow in some more. Think this will work. I originally set this tank up deliberately not using any red plants. I wanted to contrast leaf shapes more than colors. Colors were to come from fish, ATM Congos (4) RummyNose (25), still need the ‘show’ fish (Discus).

Retired 2003

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode