Another Co2 Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Another Co2 Question

Hi all

First post, first question!

After a recent blitz of my 33G I have opted for Co2 injection via a JBL profi 1 set, this was all well and good until I hit a PH crash

In a nutshell I have a Tap reading of PH 7 KH 0 - my tank reads PH 7 KH 3dKH, with the introduction of Co2 I noticed that my PH dropped to 6.4 but the KH stayed stable, by the end of the night my PH had dropped to 6 - still 3dKH

Fish were not best pleased so the spray bar was upturned, Co2 closed down and an air line introduced for overnight bubble fest. This morning all was once again well so air line off, spray bar upturned and Co2 opened up on a slow bubble rate. So far this has given constant readings with my PH remaining stable along with KH [7 & 3dKH] but I would like to up the Co2.

If I open up the Co2 again I preume that my PH levels will drop? Yesterday they went 7 - 6.4 - 6, my fish didn't like PH 6 so whats the best way around this? Is it literally trial and error or is there something that will give a little room for movement?

Also haven't got the Co2 on a Solenoid valve so it's 24/7 - thinking of rigging up a timed air pump for through the night to diffuse the unused Co2

Thanks for any advice sorry if this doesn't string together too well but it's been a long day!

Ste
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Raise the kH to around 5.

Use baking soda. As I recall 1 teaspoon (~5 grams) will raise 50 liters of water 4.

But be advised this will also raise your pH.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Raise the kH to around 5.

Use baking soda. As I recall 1 teaspoon (~5 grams) will raise 50 liters of water 4.

But be advised this will also raise your pH.
Any idea of how mch this would change the PH by? and whats a safe cap for KH?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Matak
My KH is 13 and so is my GH. All is well and I have sensitive tank mates (otos & Amano shrimp) that have only gotten healthier. And my pH is 7.8 before CO2, so I would say don't worry too much about adding the baking soda.

Steve

Filstar advocate #29
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
with ph6 and kh3 you are upwards of 90ppm CO2, thats a lot, and if you have nothing else in the tank altering your ph you will have to go by those readings. You need to lower your CO2 in the evening, [email protected]=28ppm CO2 right on target. Even if you alter your KH you will still have the same amount of CO2 in the water, and from your readings your fish are probably suffering from toxic shock from too much CO2 @ then end of the day.

if you don't get a Solenoid you can always get a powerhead reactor and put that on a timer. But i do reccomend the solenoid since it will save you CO2 and money in the longrun.

your starting out with co2 now, thats great. There is a little learning curve but you will get it down in now time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired 2003
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

dissident Thanks for the info - I ahve actually reduced my Co2 flow and have been checking my readings over the last 24 hrs. After reducing I have tested this morning and my readings are now PH 6.6 dKH 3 so i'm not that far off the 6.5 mark, bearing in mind that this was after 12hrs lights off. I'll keep testing today when the lights have been on for a few hours and see what I get.

If after a few hours of lighting I see my PH rise should I try for a very slight increase of Co2? This would then lower the PH down and hopefully allow for the night time drop to not be as drastic. I think I will go with a solenoid but in the interim i'm thinking of an air line for the dark hours - difuse the unused Co2?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sounds great
Test your ph before lights on and then right before they go out (do it for a few days), then I would make a decision on increasing CO2. That will also help you figure when to start the O2, which in your case I would do at night.

Retired 2003
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Went for a 50% water change today and have swung my readings round with a bicarb solution.

After water change I had 2dKH and a PH of 6.8 [my tap water reads 0dKH so I think that my sand substrate is giving the KH readings]

Bicarb solution got me a reading of 6dKH and PH of 7, Whilst this only gives a Co2 reading of 18ppm I reckon that it gives me a good starting point and a little more room for error when the PH starts to drop.

I'll re test the water tonight to see how it is lights off

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode