Microsword question!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
Red face Microsword question!!

Well I can't believe it...my microsword has finally started to actually grow. I have had it in my tank for about a month (maybe two) and I just noticed today that it was sending out runners. Does anyone has any experience with this plant? Does it always grow this slowly? I recently had a bad outbreak of algea (I was over dosing something, probably N or P) but now now everything is pretty much cleared up and BAM! It starts growing...who would have guessed? Any ideas on how to increase it's growth is this just a tease?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 01:19 AM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Relax, when it hits critical mass you will be asking us how to slow it down. Just keep doing what you are doing.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Cheeseybacon Send a message via Yahoo to Cheeseybacon
I experienced unusually slow growth with microsword as well. Never reached the point of "critical mass" though, since algae overwhelmed the tank.
I'd like to try it again some day...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 03:23 AM
Planted Member

Microsword? Is that the same as E. Tenellus? I guess the trick is to plant heavily and to use a good substrate. Grab 2-3 at a time and shove them in the substrate. I have them in my 10 gallon. I had runners being sent out within the first week and this is a non CO2 injected tank.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Wink

Well I appreciate all the replies! I am hoping to get some more in later on this coming weekend so maybe I will hit that critical mass point soon. I'll try and post some pics soon...I'm undecided about whether I should get some driftwood or not...everyone wants it or has it but I don't know if I should bother with it...but I do like the look. Will try to post a current pic soon...thanks for the suggestions...

MJ

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 08:56 AM

Is microsword E. tenellus or is it Lillaeopsis brasilensis (sp?)?

I was under the impresion that E. tenellus is called something like 'chain sword' and L. brasilensis is called 'micro sword' or 'cobra grass', but looking at some pictures I am not sure now.

If it is L. brasilensis, look at the emmersed growth thread, I have my first pictures there
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Microsword is the Lillaeopsis brasilensis that you mentioned...

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 09:06 AM

Ok, thanks.

Microsword does not seem to propagate much in my tanks, but growing emmersed you can get enough to carpet a 10 gallon in less than a month, maybe you could spare a few runners for an experiment.

I have a very overfed nano tank, and I can see that when the roots growing against the glass reach all the way to the mulm on the bottom layer of gravel, it starts sending out runners, but very slowly. Maybe your substrate just became fertile with all the fish food and detritus.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've had Lileopsis before and it needs a LOT of light. Also, if I've had algae outbreaks, it seems to sorta hibernate until the conditions that brought on the algae in the first place are fixed. Mine never did very well, just couldn't keep enough light over it without causing other problems, finally switch to dwarf sag.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Arrow

Well it certainly looks like it is beginning to take off but there is some slight hair algea in one spot but it's nothing at all...I've added some Moneywort to help with it and the slight diatom brown algea that I had been having a problem with, we'll see how it does...all I know is that the Moneywort has been pearling away almost every day.

I've begun to move my light fixture to the front of the tank for a few hours before going to bed to help the Microsword get more direct light and I think that is working but obviously I'm going to have to come up with some solution to this, any ideas??

I've also added about 4 new pots of microsword along with what I already had so maybe it will all grow together; of course the original pot is really well established and growing surprisingly well since I actually notice it now!

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here are a few pics!!

http://public.fotki.com/styx70819

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thumbs up

Well SCMurphy, you were right, it went CRAZY!! It looked nice but it started to grow so much that it was even growing under my other plants! I had to take to out because it was getting to be a PITA snip, snip, snipping it back. SO I guess now I am going to try glosso or if I could just find some HC somewhere!!!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Photos!?!

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Is microsword as invasive as dwarf hairgrass?

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone
Is microsword as invasive as dwarf hairgrass?
Given the right conditions, it can and will grow everywhere. But, IME, I'd say its more managable than hairgrass because it doesn't grow so much like a single unit, and is easier to replant. However, I'm pretty new at microsword. Check out the last pages of my 46g journal to follow my progression from hairgrass to microsword.

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode