Washing Flourite - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Washing Flourite

Has anyone tried using a window screen to wash Flourite?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 01:36 PM

youd need a lot more water cleaning flourite with a screen than in a bucket. since the water is just passing by it, not completely surrounding it. also, I dont know of any screens that can hold that much weight.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoymand
youd need a lot more water cleaning flourite with a screen than in a bucket. since the water is just passing by it, not completely surrounding it.
I'm not so sure about that. I put some Flourite in a glass to see how many times I would need to fill & dump to get it somewhat clear and stopped at 15. I have well water so how much I use isn't an issue anyway.

I was more concerned with the mesh size on a screen. I know Rex advocates using a paint strainer, but I already have the screen. As an alternative I guess I could use a large net.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
A much better method is a paint filter that fits a 5 gallon bucket. You don't lose as many of the fine particles.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I just poured it in the tank and let it settle, then I siphoned off the top before planting. You still get the Flourite cloud but that is impossible to avoid IMO
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyfunk
I just poured it in the tank and let it settle, then I siphoned off the top before planting. You still get the Flourite cloud but that is impossible to avoid IMO

It is possible. I have never had a problem with Flourite when washed using a paint strainer.

If you are too lazy to wash the Flourite it will be impossible to avoid the cloud. If you take 10 minutes to wash the stuff there is no problem.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 08:00 PM

10 min????? Yeah Right. Took me over 1/2 an hour to rinse 1 bag for my 10 gallon tank. I didn't even bother rinsing for my 110 gallon tank. 12 bags X 1/2hr per bag. I have better things to do with 6 hours. Let alone the water bill. I get no cloud until I stir up the substrate for anything (ie. replanting). Cloud settles in less than 12 hours. Don't rinse it. You paid for the nutrient rich "dust".
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have rinsed many bags of Flourite. With a paint strainer and a 5 gallon bucket and a good stream of water it takes about 10 minutes a bag.

If you have not used this method then you really can't comment on it. I have washed Flourite using other methods and nothing else comes close.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode