My first hitch-hiker "Sentenced to death" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
My first hitch-hiker "Sentenced to death"

Well today as I was looking into my tank observing my new plants I put in my and grotesque black stringy algea growth that is a semi plague in my tank. I noticed a little round snail slightly smaller than a pea munching on the algea. I was mortified at how this little bugger got into my tank. I have dont the bleach bath on all of my plants except for a little ground cover plant I bought yesterday. I looked through the plant I bought yesterday and saw no signs of snails while washing it. AND THERE IT WAS!!
So as of most hitch-hikers who commit vile crimes, this one had to be sentenced to DEATH by garbage disposal. I was sad to do this, but I have heard horror storries about snails multipying like crazy. Do you think I got the only one in my tank, for I have not seen any in the month and a half that it has been planted? Furthermore, do those little round pea-size snails eat my plants? Please tell me that I rid my self of the only snail.

Thank you,
Ry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
i can almost guarantee you that you didn't get them all. Did you check every single surface for snail eggs? I can usually find some on the underside of the leaves and on the sides of the aquarium.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 07:19 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a few (probably about ~100) snails in my 75gal planted tank that hitch-hiked in 5 months ago. As far as I can tell they have absolutely no negative impact on my tank, plants or anything else. About half of them are "ramshorn" and half look like little footballs.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
If you've seen one, there are probably more. If there's one tiny egg on anything that got by you, you'll have snails. If you start seeing them, just crush them against the glass or pick them out of the leaves if they really bother you.

If it gets to the point where you can't keep up, maybe stick a good loach in there to keep them under control for you.

I freaked when I got my first snails. Thought I could get rid of all of them. Didn't understand at the time just how excellent survivors they are.

Aim for "under control" and you won't lose your mind.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
rams horns aren't as bad looking as the spiral snails. If you get some kind of loach, then it will eat the babies. I got a botia striata, the next couple days the snail break out was over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Join today!

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
My blue ram is doing a pretty good job at crunching shells too. Such a good job that he refuses to stop hunting come up and eat when I feed the rest of the fish.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzilla
grotesque black stringy algea growth that is a semi plague in my tank. I noticed a little round snail slightly smaller than a pea munching on the algea. I was mortified...
And you'd rather get rid of the snail?? I don't understand. You'd rather keep a grotesque plague of algae than cute little snails that will get rid of it? I guess each to their own preference.

Anything that attacks algae and keeps your plant leaves algae-free is your friend, imo!

I personally love Ramshorn snails. I save as many as I can in a little container whenever I do a trimming and then put them back in the tank. With their help and through my fertz regimen, I've managed to keep algae pretty much under control, and the snail population follows suit. No algae, they simply die off, resorting to eating only rotting leaves and detritus to survive. They don't touch healthy plants at all. So I've never had what I would call a plague of snails. There's always only just enough to match the algae. When it thrives, so do the snails and vice versa.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 02:17 AM

i agree keep them under control and the ramshorns wont do any damage to the plants. And over time you will get some buddies.

I have two huge ones about 2-3inchs called Slowpoke and turbo. They are as interesting as fish. And the tank only get algae on leaves they cant get to that come to the top in the middle. along with hte 60-100 baby ones the tank is clean and the gravel is very very rich and fertile
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The snails that hitch hiked into my tank multiply out of controll. They are disrtoying the plants by eating holes in them... I HATE SNAILS!!!!

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Matak
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrieger
Anything that attacks algae and keeps your plant leaves algae-free is your friend, imo!
Agreed. I plucked some long grass like plants from a pond near Ottawa and bleach dipped them when I got home. The first snail didn't appear until about 5 weeks later. An outbreak of some sort of thread algae started after I noticed the snail. The snails eat the algae and are more or less keeping it under control. So all in all, I'd rather have snails than algae.

Steve

Filstar advocate #29
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuks
The snails that hitch hiked into my tank multiply out of controll. They are disrtoying the plants by eating holes in them... I HATE SNAILS!!!!

Feed the snails and they wont eat ur plants
if they are pondsnails kill them as u see them

If they are ramshorns or others. They will only eat the plants if they have no other food source. Snails hate to eat live plants they perfer decaying matter. So that fish that dies in a heavy planted tank and goes unnoticed for 3weeks. IS taking care of by the snails before it can harm your tank. And that plant that dies covered by another plant BAM snails eat it and turn it into nice poop. Which in turns goes into teh gravel, Turns into beautiful no3 and the plants turn super green and happy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode