PH regulation with CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
PH regulation with CO2

I just started using a pressurized CO2 system on my 36g and as I expected, shortly after installation the ph dropped to around 6.4. The tank is currently cycling so there are no fish to worry about, but going forward how do you go about regulating this? I have some Top Fin pH reducer in my cabinet but was wondering if that's the right way to go about stabilizing the tank permanently?

I plan on stocking with 1 Ram, rummynose tetras, a few ottos, and 2 angels eventually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
That's should be a fine ph, just make sure your kh is around 4.

Here is a chart that might help,
http://www.google.com/search?q=kh+ph...w=1366&bih=564

Ph controller is the easiest way to control ph swings.

They are about 110 bucks but you just set it and forget it.

John
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by caique View Post
That's should be a fine ph, just make sure your kh is around 4.

Here is a chart that might help,
http://www.google.com/search?q=kh+ph...w=1366&bih=564

Ph controller is the easiest way to control ph swings.

They are about 110 bucks but you just set it and forget it.

John
There has to be a cheaper way. Also, the only way I have to test KH is with a strip, the store didn't have a liquid kit so I figured this was ok for now. The tank in question isn't even registering any reading on the KH scale. My 10g low tech reads 40 ppm. (the strip kit is not single digits like those charts, do i just divide by 10?)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Here is a calculator to go from ppm to dkh: http://www.saltyzoo.com/SaltyCalcs/AlkConv.php

A ph controller is a luxury item. You don't need it but might find it nice to have.

Just adjust the co2 flow with your needle valve to the point that you have the right amount of co2 at the end of the day. You can use the ph/kh charts for a rough idea but they can be unreliable. Especially, if you don't have a decent ph and kh test kit. Drop checkers are more reliable.

You can also just have pretty high co2 for now and then start very low when you get fish. Slowly raise it every day and watch your fish. If they start breathing hard or swimming at the surface or moving slowly etc, you know your a little high and back off. That would be your sweet spot once you back off a little and they start acting normal.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is this a good drop checker to get? Seems pretty decent, fluval is a good brand.

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A7551-Fl...s=drop+checker
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 09:22 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsogreenthumb View Post
Is this a good drop checker to get? Seems pretty decent, fluval is a good brand.

http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-A7551-Fl...s=drop+checker
I'm not sure. Maybe someone who has used it can give you some feedback. It probably does work fine though if you like/don't mind the look.

I like the look of the glass drop checkers. I just got some cheap ones on ebay and put ro/di water with a certain kh in the drop checkers along with Bromothymol Blue (the stuff that comes in the normal range liquid ph kits).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The pH fluctuations caused by CO2 aren't the kind that affects your fish (rather, the dissolved gas concentrations in the water affect the fish, so CO2 does have an impact, but not due to pH swings). pH swings caused by hardness fluctation is what affects fish. So don't worry about regulating pH, and instead focus on attaining proper CO2 that is good for your fish and good for your plants.

I prefer to run high CO2 with high amounts of water ripples at surface from filter output. Might cost a few pennies per day in CO2 to agitate the surface this much, as my bubble count needs to be high, but it's still very cheap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Nitrifying bacteria use the carbon from carbonates. While you are cycling the tank add enough carbonates or bicarbonates to keep the KH at least 3 German degrees of hardness, or roughly 60 ppm. Higher is better.

pH is not very important for fish. Most fish do not care about the pH changes from CO2, but do care that the mineral levels in the water are right.
I aim to keep the GH at the right level, then keep the KH within a degree or so. Let the pH take care of itself. When the GH and KH are right, the pH is usually pretty close to where it needs to be, and that is a pretty wide range.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 AM
Planted Member

Hmmm now I'm confused. Was the OP asking about how to use co2 to drop his ph? I thought he was asking about how to find the right amount of co2 per plant and fish needs? Re-reading makes me think I misunderstood.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode