When To Plant - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
When To Plant

I screwed up when I changed my substrate a couple of weeks ago. I did not save enough of my bacteria and the tank is re cycling. Ammonia just went to zero a day ago and nitrites are at 0.5. So I am likely two weeks away from finishing my cycle.

After my last plant failure I have changed the substrate, changed my lighting plan, and changed my plant plan. Last time I added a lot of light and injected CO2. I wound up growing lot of algae. This time I want to try the Low Tech approach.

Should I wait the 2-3 weeks for my tank to complete it's cycle, or can I add plants now?

thanks, Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Planted Member

You should add plants now. It is fish that you want to protect from the ammonia and nitrites. Plants are an alternative path for nitrogen. Plants and bacteria are competing for the same ammonia. Plants are a higher life form and thus better compete for the ammonia. In fact when the plants take up the ammonia then you end up without any nitrates in you water. If you have enough plants, when you trim and remove them you are doing the equivalent of a water change in a non planted tank, because you are removing nitrates. dig?

Have an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Guano View Post
You should add plants now. It is fish that you want to protect from the ammonia and nitrites. Plants are an alternative path for nitrogen. Plants and bacteria are competing for the same ammonia. Plants are a higher life form and thus better compete for the ammonia. In fact when the plants take up the ammonia then you end up without any nitrates in you water. If you have enough plants, when you trim and remove them you are doing the equivalent of a water change in a non planted tank, because you are removing nitrates. dig?

I agree. Having plants in a cycling aquarium can make your tank experience a 'silent' cycle where the plants use the excess ammonia and nitrite. It can appear as if your tank is going through a mini cycle, fully cycled, or even stalled thanks to the plant flora. Remove the plants and you will see ammonia and nitrite spike... I learned that the hard way :/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode