Co2 the culprit for DEATH? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
Co2 the culprit for DEATH?

Does your DIY w/ a hagen ladder cause your fish to gasp? I saw some of my fish not actually gasping, but hanging at the surface for the past two mornings. Other fish were swimming around like normal. But I wonder if it is the co2 b/c I did have 1 neon tetra die the first morning. Second morning, I removed a surfaced neon to another tank to relieve it of any possible oxygen deprivation. Usually my neons cling to the bottom b/c of my goldfish threat. So it's unusual to see 1 or 2 of them at the surface in the morning.

I'd be surprised if I'm actually producing that much co2 in the 28 gallon tank off of the nutrafin packets, but who knows, after all there is little/no surface agitation. Anyone else have similar experiences, or an idea of what might be going on?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 07:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to robert Send a message via MSN to robert Send a message via Yahoo to robert
have you tested your kh and pH of the tank to find your Co2 level?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 08:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Give the tank "some" surface movement, maybe a little more at light's out, you're fish will thank you for it..

Craig

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I doubt it's high CO2 levels as much as it could well be low O2 levels. Fish can survive some really high CO2 levels but still need O2.

Since you neglected to give us your morning CO2 reading it's hard to say.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 01:38 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Since high CO2 doesn't push O2 out of the water, I doubt it's the CO2 doing it.

I would also test for nitrites...high nitrites mean fish can't extract O2 from the water in their gills, and they will gasp for air, and act very lethargic.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 02:29 PM

KH is critical

We have seen fish die from CO2 even with a Hagen unit if the KH of the tank is near 0. RO water or distilled water will have KH near 0.

What is your KH???
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
Sorry fellas, I don't have a test kit for Kh, or for anything else for that matter. No gasping or surfaced tetras this morning, so I think maybe it was a fluke. But to circumvent future problems I'll raise the spray bar to increase surface movement. Oh ya, I'm pretty sure my kH is not at zero, b/c it is tap water. If I have future problems I'll be back here with test results to pick your brains with!

Thx for the help, and feedback.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 11:32 PM

call for water report

Your water company will be able to tell you the details of the tap water. Call them. It is really important.

Ask for the report that tells you
KH
pH
nitrates
ammonia
chlorine or chloramine

It may also tell you calcium, magnesium, TDS, conductivity, certain metals like arsenic, lead, copper, and bacteria levels.

Nice to get that and keep it in a file, I guarantee you will pull it out within the year...."oh, maybe I have a calcuim or magnesium deficenciy.... Oh, those levels are on that report I filed!"

and while you are ordering parts for the CO2, go on and get an Aquarium Pharmacutical Master Test kit that has pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and a KH kit. Do not start CO2 without a KH test kit.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 02:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Many of the lfs around here are able to test for kh and gh, call a couple and bring in a water sample.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode