LED tradeoff between 'shimmer' and brightness - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
LED tradeoff between 'shimmer' and brightness

Hi, Ive been having trouble finding an LED that has a noticeable and nice shimmer effect, but at the same time is bright enough for my need. I've tried Marineland Double-bright, Finex Ray II, plus a few others and these have either been too dim or not produced shimmer. I prioritize the shimmer effect. In this case, this is not a planted tank but is a 37gal brackish tank with green spotted puffer. Tank is 30x12x22high.

Problem is that when many LEDs are close together the unit is nicely bright but lacks noticeable shimmer (e.g. Finnex Ray II), and with fewer but spaced LEDs the unit produces excellent shimmer but is not very bright (e.g., Marineland double-bright). I really would like to have both for this tank.

Though this is not a planted tank I know there are folk here who have tried or seen many different LED combinations. I'd welcome any suggersions...maybe the below Marineland planted LED? Others?

thanks for any feedback,
growitnow

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&pcatid=24726
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 11:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
you could try making an led pendant, using more wattage to compensate for the increased distance- or try increasing the surface agitation
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Kessil A150W is LED creates the most shimmer I've ever seen while still producing plenty of light to be considered high tech (I use 1 light on my 25g 18x18x18 cube tank, if you have bigger then you can get multiple lights).

It's not cheap but if shimmer is what you want, these things will amaze you. Just need a little ripple from your filter/powerhead to make things really gorgeous.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 11:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
Consider using an led flood lamp if shimmering is what you are after. You hit it on the nail in that shimmering is an effect on a single point of light that would hi light the wave ripples on it's beam perimeter. Lamps like the rayII with LEDs densely packed would eliminate this effect in favor of brilliance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Ayup, pendant lights are the way to go to get shimmer. I have both types, the array models just don't have the same effect as the pendants. I picked up two of these including the fixture for a cube tank I have.
http://www.boostled.com/product_p/par30.htm
They were not cheap but I love the effect!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi, thanks for these great suggestions. I have a canopy so will have to toy to see if there is room for pendant or spotlight. Given I have only about 5" from glass to top inside of canopy I was hoping the marineland planted LED might work, it is low profile. But I do understand that best shimmer will come from focussed spotlight now.

What does the 40 versus 60 degree mean on the PAR30 pendant from post above?

thanks,
growitnow
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I had a T5HO fixture about 20 inch off the top of the tank. 20 long so about 30 in above the substrate. I got a marginal shimmer effect just off of that. I also have had a great shimmer effect off an IKEA clip on bulb as a moon light. I don't have a lot of experience but it seems like the more flow you have on the tank, the more evident the shimmer is.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode