Just got a crazy idea....Iwagumi aquascape in a massive tank with large rocks..... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Just got a crazy idea....Iwagumi aquascape in a massive tank with large rocks.....

Stocked with......an arrowana.

Think about it, if you could do a massive, amano sized planted tank, with a ton of carpeting lower growing plants and then big rocks to look like mountains, and had the main fish in the tank be an arrowana, you would basically have made a tank of a mountain landscape with a flying dragon up above everything.

Sure, it would have to be a rather large tank and have a glass top of some sort, but I don't see an arrowana bugging plants. And if you wanted some sort of floater, you could probably add something decorative that still fits into the style. And so long as you are't wanting to create a jungle of plants, I think it would be a really cool idea if someone wanted to dedicate a tank this way.

Tankmates would be a little difficult though, given the size of an arrowana, but I totally think it could be done and be done well.....

I just have a thing with mixing larger fish that are often kept on their own, with planted tanks. I know it can be done but there is a certain amount of experimenting that needs to be taken in order to make it work.

Quickly, does anyone on here have a ton of cash to blow and want to try something unique? :P

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
You mean something like this?:

Amano designed this for the Sumida Tower in Tokyo
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

yes, but probably deeper for the arrowana, since I think an 8 by 3 is the best for them.

But that kinda tank, with an arrowana in it, flying above the little underwater mountains......

I think this will be what I do when I get an arrowana some day.....hopefully lol

Mom's Spec V:

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That tank is 22 feet long and probably 4-5 feet tall.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 11:18 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
It's actually 23'3" wide x 3'7" deep x 3'11" tall. I'm sure a couple arrowana would look completely insane in that tank lol.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

wait, if that's in japan...then a nice chili red asian arrow or a platinum or....oh the possibilities

Mom's Spec V:
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 12:44 AM
Planted Member

Great idea! Although a massive fish might not match the aquascape???
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Just got a crazy idea....Iwagumi aquascape in a massive tank with large rocks.....

Hence massive dragon over small mountains

I've been playing skyrim too much lmao

Mom's Spec V:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 02:38 AM
Planted Member

I see...lol. Play some blackops2 for a change.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

If only this hobby hasn't drained me of all my spending money :P

Mom's Spec V:
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 12:13 PM
thenextThing

About to start MY VERY FIRST iwagumi! Did an awful lot of research on the subject, saw many nice setups, but noticed the same thing you noticed, then had the same idea you had. No big fish. No predators. no evidence of anyone even trying it. Therefore, not a complete ecosystem/cut of nature it is intended to be. So I'm gonna throw some needle fish in with something like 150 various guppies with natural-looking cover from the ever watchful predators soaring over the mountain. Like a bunch of rayquayzas.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 12:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
Stocked with......an arrowana.

Think about it, if you could do a massive, amano sized planted tank, with a ton of carpeting lower growing plants and then big rocks to look like mountains, and had the main fish in the tank be an arrowana, you would basically have made a tank of a mountain landscape with a flying dragon up above everything.

Sure, it would have to be a rather large tank and have a glass top of some sort, but I don't see an arrowana bugging plants. And if you wanted some sort of floater, you could probably add something decorative that still fits into the style. And so long as you are't wanting to create a jungle of plants, I think it would be a really cool idea if someone wanted to dedicate a tank this way.

Tankmates would be a little difficult though, given the size of an arrowana, but I totally think it could be done and be done well.....

I just have a thing with mixing larger fish that are often kept on their own, with planted tanks. I know it can be done but there is a certain amount of experimenting that needs to be taken in order to make it work.

Quickly, does anyone on here have a ton of cash to blow and want to try something unique? :P
I just finished researching the iwagumi style of planted tanks, and I gotta say, there's a huge flaw for how "straight out of nature" this style is suppose to be. No predator. No full food chain. No circle of life. So I'm gonna put a few needlefish in with 150 various guppies. Make sure they got cover from the heard of rayquayzas flying over the mountain(s). still unclear. Ultimately, we had the same idea, I got the resources and I'm gonna make it happen. I will share every step. Let it be a learning experience for all

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode