Plants for incandecent lighting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants for incandecent lighting

So far, i have had no trouble growing whatever i have put into my ten gal. No i need some more frilly plants for my fry to hide in. What kinds of stem plants that provide cover for fry can grow in a 10 gallon tank that won't grow so fast i'll have to prune them everyday? Also, can ricca live under incandecent lighting? i'd love to start to grow some ricca matts in my tank, or around rocks, but i'm cautious to start growing them under this type of lighting. <--- i love that smiley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:16 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
why not screw in a spiral compact florecent or one of the strait ones for that matter- they are not that much more expensive than incondesent bulbs anymore.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

I can't with the hood, well, maybe compact... it has a divider in the middle that would be a pita to remove. (proably have 2 cut it out) And the incandecent lights fine, its just both the size of the tank and the size of certain plants i'm worrying about. Also, a straight flourecent there wouldn't put out enought light in that setup to make java moss live. Ne stem plant suggestions?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 06:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Brian A
i know what you are talking about and yes you should be able to use some of the smaller screw-in florecents. I used ten gallons for a few years like that for breeding tanks and it worked out real well. The only problem i ever had with them was the fact that the light was more "yellow" than i liked and the larger lights gave off a lof of heat that melted the plastic above them a little.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

My hood has plastic underneath it too, i guess i could cut it out. Any stem plant suggestions for a 10 gallon tank?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 10:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Brian A
it depends on what wattage you get. the worst thing the heat did to mine was warp the grill on the top of the lights, never made it melt. as long as you leave your lights on for only 12 hours a day i am sure it would be fine
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 11:53 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
you might want to look into these http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113346 i got two from walmart for 4.85each but they were made by "lights of america" and have very little red(but they are still better than incadesents) i have had no problems with them over my 10g brackish tank(except an algae bloom for the increased light) they are much cooler than the incadesents used to be when the lights turn off
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

The red doesnt matter really, and actually the 6700K's and the.. um.. 9000 sumthing K's i have heard are the best because they have the greatest spectrum of color. I doubt i'll have an algae bloom, i have a lot of floating plants, and a few stem plants, and.. well.. it looks like a cross between a java fern and an anubias nana. I'll look into the bulbs. What plants would work well (stems, possibly red) under that light?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Would any compact flourecent bulb fit into the hood? I'm not great with bulbs, lol, i was actually looking into possibly 2-16 wat bulbs. Ne chance that could cause an algae bloom? The actual bulbs i was looking at were at um.. this link http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...AM2&lpage=none do these look fine?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode