digitally measuring equipment? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
digitally measuring equipment?

is there any equipment on the market that can digitally measure ph level, kh level, nitrate level and so on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
sure there is. sort of: still has reagents you have to fiddle with but most accurate: http://lamotte.com/pages/aqua/techtips/quality.html - info
http://www.thomassci.com/search.do?t...word&q=LaMotte - purchasable products

get a calorimeter. I had the Lamotte Smart 2 for water quality research in Oakland, Ca..specifically Lake Merritt Watershed. Measures everything you need. its only 800 bones. There are probes on the site, but i didn't really look.

OR:

bigasonline.com has a ph meter, temp meter. That's all i know about.

I don't test at all. Why bother...besides being anal and perfect. Just read what people do and average each technique. For example, dosing fertilizers: find someone's tank similar to yours and do their schedule. Regarding co2 bubble per minutes rate..just do what people do (1 - 1.5) bps on average). Sure. you can be exact about it..but i think it doesn't really matter..just as long as your fish aren't gasping, algae is minimized, and you're plants are growing. Once you throw in water changes every week it resets everything..If you don't do waterchanges, then I would test. But if you do..enjoy the "reset button." My opinion is based on knowledge I fostered during my tenure at Cal.

Go Bears!

Good Luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 04:57 AM
Planted Member

If you really want to know what is in your water, call your water company and ask for a report. They dose from there. Use weekly water changes for reset.

Eheim Pimp Club member #7
Pimp Thread Starter

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

where can i find a test kit for potassium level?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

still wanna test eh?

I couldnt find digital but here what I found: $30
http://www.petsolutions.com/Potassiu...-10635-C-.aspx

It's not imparitive to have a test kit for this element because overdosing will not cause an algae outbreak. Definately this is one test kit you do not need unless you got extra dough to burn.

Save your money on testing equipment and pay those waterbills..hehe.

Anyways. I hope this helped!

Good Luck

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
The inexpensive potassium test kit linked to only measures to about 2 ppm.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I think alot of us with soft water and injected CO2 like to keep an eye on the Kh and pH and a digital pH meter is quite a pleasure, if you have $50 or $60 bucks to spare. But do buy the Hanna brand pHep 4 or pHep 5, not the cheaply made Milwaukee, IMHO. I use the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals wet test tube for KH and the Hanna handheld pH meter for pH. bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

man! the LaMotte 2020e Turbidimeter/Turbidify Meter looks really good!
can it test all ph level, kh level, iron level, and nitrate level?

can somebody show me a list of levels this machine can test?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The 2020e just scans for turbidity (water clarity).

The Lamotte Smart 2 can test all ranges. It's actually the reagent kits that determine the range. Low vs High range reagent kits. I've used both machines in the field. But the Smart 2 is the best for everything. Here's the product info, which includes what the machine can test for and their various ranges.

http://www.lamotte.com/pages/common/newprod/smart2.html - $800

Enjoy!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

$800... isn't that too expensive for a planted tank hobbist? do you know anywhere i can get it used other than ebay? thanks a lot!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry can't help ya there. To tell you the truth, you absolutely don't need this advance equipment for a planted tank. Just use the basic test kits that people here usually use: red sea, aquarium phar., etc.

But if you really want this, I would just scour ebay, or look for scientific lab forums where they might be selling stuff (not sure b/c I don't know of any).

Stick with the basic stuff for now, and you'll be good to go. Eventually you'll stop testing altogether, and just rely on water changes (like me).

Good Luck with your endeavors!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 05:22 AM
Planted Member

With the established tank, the only test I do is a pH test with a Hanna electronix tester...

Just keep the PH around 7...

easy.

None of this green, greener, greenerer, greenererer, deciphering.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode