Need advice on scraping and resiliconing my tank... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need advice on scraping and resiliconing my tank...

Just got a second hand 125g tank of questionable integrity so I'm going to go ahead and reseal it all before setting it up. Can anyone point me to a general DIY/FAQ kind of thread on resiliconing your tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
You need tank sealant without any mildew inhibitors added.
Safety razor the old sealant off the inside of the tank seam using care not to push the blade between the glass panels were the actual seal exists.
Clean the surface of the glass with a scotch brite pad or similar soaked in Acetone or 70% or above Alcohol. Allow the glass to dry and apply the new silicone.

Google or Yahoo searching will load you up with advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wkndracer; 01-25-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: removing my opinion
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Re: Need advice on scraping and resiliconing my tank...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays View Post
Just got a second hand 125g tank of questionable integrity so I'm going to go ahead and reseal it all before setting it up. Can anyone point me to a general DIY/FAQ kind of thread on resiliconing your tank?
There are several no links on hand, in the meantime start taking it apart. Using razor or fishing line etc to separate the silicone and get all the glass cleaned up.

Putting new silicone down on a framed tank is a breeze since the silicone is there to seal the panes vs a all glass tank where its sealing and holding.

Do some google searches as well, don't worry it's not as daunting as it looks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
You need tank sealant without any mildew inhibitors added.(imo)
i don't think this is an opinion, but a requirement as the mildew inhibitors will leach into the water.

OP, do an advanced search focusing on the DIY forum, there are a handful of really good posts regarding building one's own tank

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well, I've gotten a lot of help so far and all of the various information sources tend to agree with each other except on this one point. Some give advice that, considering I'm doing a 125g tank I should take the tank completely apart separating the glass panels and top and bottom plastic frame pieces, remove all the silicone, and then rebuild it from scratch. While other advice is to scrape all silicone from the inside of the tank that I can get to making sure not to let the razor slip between the glass panels to compromise that silicone, and then clean and re silicone the inside.

So which advice should I take? Would it be ok to just do it the simpler way, or is breaking the tank all the way down entirely necessary?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It should not be necessary to separate the glass panels unless you notice that the original silicone is missing from between the panes.

I resealed a 125g tank by removing the inner fillet beads in the corners of the tank only. It's important to remove all traces of these beads and clean the glass surface well before replacing with new silicone.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Check the braces to make sure they're not cracked or damaged. The integrity of the tank may depend on the braces and if they're broken, the tank can bow and eventually leak. Was it filled with water when you got it? Or was it in storage? Do a water test to see if it leaks or bows. This may save you the trouble of re-siliconing.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
if there is a gap in the silicone seal that actually helps support the tank, when u silicone it will fill in those gaps..

just scrape the inside portion off and re silcone
this is how i redid my daughters OOOOLLLLLDDD 20 gallon,, tank was 43 years old to give u an idea

Sump Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode