Best Tropical Fish and Plant Guides? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)
Best Tropical Fish and Plant Guides?

Anyone have any recommendations on good Tropical Fish and Aquarium Plant guides I should invest money in?

I'm looking for books that will help me identify fish/plants as well learn how to take care of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
There is a wealth of information online. Especially on these forums. Also, if you post then you get responses tailored towards your specific situation.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This forum is very dense with information.

Also, this might be a good starter book for plants. It has been helping me learn anyway:

[U]The 101 Best Aquarium Plants,[U] by Mary E. Sweeney.

"Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Aquarium Plants by Christel Kasselmann
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Tom Barr, search for plantbrain on this forum

Spending money on a book is a waste, in my opinion, compared to what you can quickly learn here. I'm skimmed a few books out of curiosity and many are just plain wrong when it comes to keeping plants, what causes algae, etc. In terms of equipment, many are also so hopelessly outdated - especially with lighting - it's just a waste of time in that it will confuse you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Books are not a waste IMO, especially the Kasselmann Steve mentioned. It offers more depth and perspective than one or two forum posts. She has what amounts to a chapter on amazon sword varieties that really heped me figure out which I wanted for my situation.

You can learn a lot online too of course. Its all good.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Seems like every aquarium plant book I've cracked opened talks extensively about how phosphates cause algae and mercury vapor lighting is the best on the planet. Feels sort of like wanting to build a new computer and opening up a PC World magazine from 1987 to do so.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wouldn't recommend it for an absolute beginner, but I thought Walstad's book had some great info in it:

http://www.amazon.com/Ecology-Plante...714858-8039167

It probably helps to have a little bit of a biology background, but I think she does a good enough job of explaining things and giving examples that it's understandable without.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
Tom Barr, search for plantbrain on this forum

Spending money on a book is a waste, in my opinion, compared to what you can quickly learn here. I'm skimmed a few books out of curiosity and many are just plain wrong when it comes to keeping plants, what causes algae, etc. In terms of equipment, many are also so hopelessly outdated - especially with lighting - it's just a waste of time in that it will confuse you.
Books are useful. Forums rely too much on opinions just like yours and this one, but they can provide correct information sometimes.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Shi View Post
There is a wealth of information online. Especially on these forums. Also, if you post then you get responses tailored towards your specific situation.

This is true, but there are also UNFATHOMABLE amounts of inaccurate misinformation online. The best route is to reference a college textbook. They are expense and hard to navigate at times, but they will paint the full picture and are much more accurate. That's not to say that textbooks never have misinformation, it's just that they have A LOT less.

IMO, if people started reading books addressing their questions rather than asking the 'Google-Gods' we would drastically reduce the concentration of stupid in this country.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveIt2MeNerdy View Post
This is true, but there are also UNFATHOMABLE amounts of inaccurate misinformation online. The best route is to reference a college textbook. They are expense and hard to navigate at times, but they will paint the full picture and are much more accurate. That's not to say that textbooks never have misinformation, it's just that they have A LOT less.

IMO, if people started reading books addressing their questions rather than asking the 'Google-Gods' we would drastically reduce the concentration of stupid in this country.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The Baensch Atlas series
Diana Walstad's book
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 02:40 AM
Algae Grower

I agree. There is too much good info online to warrant buying a book. Plus, with the rate that we are increasing our knowledge, books become outdated much faster than they used to. Periodicals are good because they are published monthly (some less than that). Fishkeeping magazines such as Amazonas and Practical Fishkeeping are great fishkeeping magazines but they don't contain much about plants. For an excellent online tropical fish guide, check out http://www.seriouslyfish.com/. It contains thousands of fish profiles.

-- Izzy

Goldfish | Community | Koi pond | Carnivorous Plants
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
for books, i would suggest anything that has large lists, such as axelrods atlas. it doesnt really have much information in it, but its a great place to start. i often thumb through it, see a fish that catches my eye, and then just look up every bit of info i can about it online. there is a lot of misinformation online, but if you use a little common sense, its easy to tell when someone is being dogmatic and claiming "facts" from a very limited pool of experience.

a good example is elassoma gilberti, gulf coast pygmy sunfish. there are references out there that say they NEED soft acidic water, with ph sometimes as low as 4. the fact that i have mine breeding happily in a ph of 8.7 in extremely hard water goes to show that the "facts" were prematurely determined by some literate individuals with access to a computer. it seems as if they had made the claim based on a single collection report from an isolated swampy location. i collected mine in hard alkaline water.

anything new is going to be pretty much the same. people will make claims, write books, and draw conclusions without first exploring other possibilities. the best thing is to look up the fish, look up the experience of others, and if you cannot find the experience of others, look up info about their habitats or those of similar fish.

for plants i usually jut google things from the list on wikipedia, or pull out the reference papers that i have accumulated ever the last several years.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags
Re: Best Tropical Fish and Plant Guides?

This was a list i made a couple years ago. If you search my posts there was a similar topic back in 2011.

Quote:
This is my list. You can find them all on Amazon...

High
Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad
Aquarium Plants by Christel Kasselmann
Planted Aquariums by Christel Kasselmann
Aquarium Plant Paradise by Takashi Amano
Nature Aquarium Volume 1 by Takashi Amano
Nature Aquarium World Volume 2 by Takashi Amano
Nature Aquarium World-Book 3 (Bk. 3) by Takashi Amano
Nature Aquarium World: How You Can Make A Most Beautiful Aquarium by Takashi Amano
Nature Aquarium: Complete Works 1985-2009 by Takashi Amano
Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Peter Hiscock

Medium
Dr. Axelrod's Atlas of Freshwater Aquarium Fishes by Dr Harbert R. Axelrod
Baensch Aquarium Atlas Photo Index 1-5 (NEW REVISED THIRD EDITION 2007) by Hans A. Baensch, et al.
Baensch Aquarium Atlas, Vol. 4 (v. 4) by Hans A. Baensch, Ruediger Riehl
Baensch Aquarium Atlas, Vol. 3 (Third Revised Edition 2004) (v. 3) by Hans A. Baensch, Rudiger Riehl
Baensch Aquarium Atlas Vol. 1 (7th REVISED EDITION 2007) by Hans A. Baensch, Rudiger Riehl
Baensch Aquarium Atlas Vol. 2 (4th REVISED EDITION 2008) by Hans A. Baensch, Rudiger Riehl
Aquarium Designs Inspired by Nature by Peter Hiscock
Encyclopedia Of Exotic Tropical Fishes For Freshwater Aquariums by G. S. Axelrod

Low
Limnology, Third Edition: Lake and River Ecosystems by Robert G. Wetzel (Advanced Book)
Natural Aquarium by S. Yoshino, et al.
Aquarium Plants Manual (Complete Pet Owners Manuals) by Ines Scheurmann
Fishkeeper's Guide to Aquarium Plants: A Superbly Illustrated Guide to Growing Healthy ... by Barry James
Holger Windelov's Tropica Color Catalogue: Aquarium Plants by Holger Winelov
Aquarium Plants: The Practical Guide by Pabloo Tepoot, et al.
Fish Behavior in the Aquarium and in the Wild (Comstock books) by Stéphan Reebs

For beginners this site has an excellent guide at the top "Planted Tank Guide". I would also recommend the various forums, not just The Planted Tank. You have the Barr Report, Aquatic Plant Enthusiats, Aquatic Plant Central, AGA, IAPLC and to an extent MFK (not really for plants).
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode