About ready to give up. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
About ready to give up.

I have had fish for a long time. I know what i am doing there. I am totally new to plants, and overall I am having some good luck. I decided to go high tech on my 75g so that I wasn't limited on plants in my tank, not to mention I love red plants.

2 weeks into co2 all my fish stopped eating and started to breathe very quickly. I lost all of them but some ottos and a pleco. I stopped co2 for about a month to get things back in order. I started co2 and got 2 german blue rams. Now fast forward two more weeks those same 2 german blue rams have stopped eating, and I lost two of my ottos. I stopped co2 yesterday.

I don't have a co2 indictator, but when this first happened I looked at my bps (2-3) and decided that when I started it again I would go lower. The last week it's been lower then 1 bps. I really love planted aquariums but I have done everything I can think of to make this work. All of my water levels are perfect. I modded one of my canister filter intakes to accommodate a surface skimmer and made one. My spray bars point upwards and break the waters surface. I guess I am just stumped. Not sure what to do now.

Fluval Flora Pimp #34, 40b Congo Puffer Tank,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Patience :-)
I do not use a bubble counter or a soilinoid. I use a decent needle valve and shove the co2 tubing up my canisters intake.i can see the bubbles flowing up the intake. I simply start low ....and i have found for myself that pressure is best at just above 5 on the primary gauge of the regulator. 8
I check with both a checker and a ph probe. I only muck with ot once a day until i get it where i want. That point is always ...just before lights go on because that is when the ph will be the lowest this is the time period that will overwhelm fish if adjustments are made during daylight hours - hence mucking with it once a day ..... Does the trick

Hope this helps ya

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Regards,
Aquaticz
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I have lost fish to CO2 poisoning too. Horrible feeling, isn't it?

I don't go by BPS or BPM. I tweak the needle valve just a bit when I am able to watch the tank all day. Sometimes it can build up in minutes and sometimes it takes just when the lights go out for it to get too high for the fish. Use BPM to check that things are looking about right, that gas is going in but not too much gas as happens when a single stage regulator is dumping gas when the tank is nearly empty or the tubing gets crimped or tank is empty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

MOP* Nano

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Might want to invest in a drop checker?

HANdS:
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry to hear about your fish. Fish can be very sensitive to poisoning especially by ammonia, heavy metals, hydrogen sulphide or CO2. Even a short time of exposure can kill them.

Maybe you will find an answer under this link:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebi...fshdisfaqs.htm

Don’t give up. If you are having problems with CO2 poisoning try a drop checker to monitor CO2 levels. If they are fluctuating get a better CO2 regulator to avoid needle "floating".
Another solution can be Seachem Flourish Excel instead of dissolving CO2. It is a decent source of carbon for plants and when used correctly it is safe for fish (in most cases). Before you go with it read up and don’t get scared by people’s stories. I have an Otto in a tank with HC carpet and he is very happy. Unfortunately I don’t know of a risk free solution but patience is your best friend.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
What is your ph and kh?

http://www.google.com/search?q=kh+ph...2F%3B606%3B378

I would just get yourself a PH controller.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
It's hard to imagine its the C02 that's killing them if your running 2-3 bps whilst your spray bar is agitating the surface. What are you using to diffuse the C02 ? And what lighting are you using ?

“We didn’t underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought.” -Bobby Robson

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)
Dont give up!

All my tanks are low tech, so i cant help you with your CO2p problems, but i can tell you that you dont NEED CO2. There are plenty of plants that grow without it, if you need to take that pressure off.

50g, 45g, 15g, 10g, 2x2.5g, 2g bowl

LyzzaRyzz's Tanks and More! -
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

About ready to give up.

Hello,

I'm sorry you have lost pets.

To use co2 responsibly you must understand how to safely use it to not harm your pets. Surface agitation (no splashing) or surface skimmers are a huge insurance against suffocation.

Please read the first post on this thread at least:

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php?t=10282

I do not recommend ph controllers unless you know enough about ph vs co2. People have accidents with that device too. Its not the solution.

Good luck.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
its happened to the best of us !!!!

take a small hiatus.. keep reading the forums and learning. you'll be back

Sump Pimp #7

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz View Post
Dont give up!

All my tanks are low tech, so i cant help you with your CO2p problems, but i can tell you that you dont NEED CO2. There are plenty of plants that grow without it, if you need to take that pressure off.
+1 on this.

While there are folks who hit the ground running with C02 setups, it isn't necessary for a planted tank and running a less high tech system to start decreases the number of variables to juggle with a lot more room for mistakes to be spotted and corrected.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Get an indicator they aren't that expensive. I like the dual one from cal aqua that shows you what color it should be and then what your tank co2 is
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 01:30 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (21/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
To use co2 responsibly you must understand how to safely use it to not harm your pets. Surface agitation (no splashing) or surface skimmers are a huge insurance against suffocation.
Highly recommend a surface skimmer for any tanks with pressurized co2. Even on my tanks that don't really need a surface skimmer, the fish seem to always do much better after adding the skimmer.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-29-2013, 03:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

About ready to give up.

Co2 need is not determined by the kind of plants you have, is determined by the light intensity and plant MASS.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!

Last edited by pejerrey; 01-29-2013 at 06:30 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode