metrics averages - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2005, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
metrics averages

Now I know nobody has to play, but I would sure like to know how many bubbles per second (pressurized), pH, KH, and calculated CO2 each person averages. You know:

3.5bps, 6.6pH,4-5 KH, 38ppm.

I would sure appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
Now I know nobody has to play, but I would sure like to know how many bubbles per second (pressurized), pH, KH, and calculated CO2 each person averages. You know:

3.5bps, 6.6pH,4-5 KH, 38ppm.

I would sure appreciate it.
Does this mean that you have 3.5 bubbles per second?

Anyway, I have 20 bpm, 6.4 pH, 3 dKH, 35.8 ppm CO2, 8 ppm O2
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks Left C for your reply. It made me see that I left out something important in my question. I also wanted to know how many gallons your tank has. I am having a little trouble with measurements and tests etc, so I thought if I saw what size tank people had, and how much co2 they added, it would just let me know if I am in the ballpark.

Yes, I am running 3.5 bps (bubbles per sec or 210 bubbles per min) which is keeping my 50 gal at a co2 saturation of about 40ppm. It seems like a lot of bps for 40ppm so I thought I would ask around.

AgainI thank you for your reply.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
Yes, I am running 3.5 bps (bubbles per sec or 210 bubbles per min) which is keeping my 50 gal at a co2 saturation of about 40ppm. It seems like a lot of bps for 40ppm so I thought I would ask around.
How do you count them? That's too fast for me to count. Well, anyway.

Do you know about the CO2/pH/KH relationship? That's what you need to go by. There's charts and calculators for this relationship.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

1st, I count them using a stop watch for 10 seconds and multiplying by 6,....... and you are right, it is a little hard.

2nd, I do calculate CO2 with KH/pH and a chart. It's just that I have learned that the chemical test kits are only so accurate, so when evaluating the derived CO2, it is always a little suspect because the KH and pH are often off by a little.

therefore.............

I thought that seeing what amount of CO2 injection (by looking at bps) would take x amount of gallons of water to a specific derived CO2, which would give me just one more test to use.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 09:43 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I am very interested in this too. I seem to have low CO2 but I sure seem to inject alot based on the bubble count. My water is whacky though. The KH reading is obvioulsy not normal.

I am running about 200 bpm, PH 6, KH reads 7.5 (Cant be all bicarb or my fish would be dead) in a 55 gallon tank. I still have signs of low CO2 if you can believe it. Fish not stressed at all.

Rick
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

I must be reading your post bass ackward.....cause when I look at my "derived CO2" chart, pH 6, and KH 7.5 show CO2 somewhere around 215ppm. Right?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 10:37 PM

You are not reading it backwards. MY KH measures 7.5 and my PH is at 5.9 now for a whopping PPM of CO2 at 225 PPM.

I am confident the PH is correct. I use a contoller and calibrate it. I think I have a rare alkality problem though. I think the bubble rate I have is high but yours is too on a simular sized tank.

Rick
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 02:04 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Rick - I haven't driven mine quite that high yet, but it sounds like me might be wrestling with a similar issue.

I need to go back and refigure my bubble rate. I've been playing with the new Tom Barr ceramic diffuser approach, and things have been interesting. I've got a 46g with KH=7.5, and have been maintaining pH=6.5-.6.6 (though I still have consistent BBA appearing !)

I started with a DIY reactor , a controller with flaky needle value, CO2 on 24/7 (w/ controller) and my bpm was around 160. Heck, I had the controller, so should the bpm matter? I switched to a low-end ceramic diffuser (Penn-Plax?) and within 30 minutes, all the fish were gasping. I set the bpm down around 120 and things settled down, with the pH running from 6.7-6.8 at lights on to 6.5-6.6 at lights off. A few weeks after that (and about 5 days ago), one evening I switched to an Azoo "medium" diffuser. In the AM, the pH was at 6.6 and thirty minutes after lights on, all were gasping and the pH was down to 6.5. As I was going away for the weekend, I cut the bpm down quite a bit (haven't counted yet, maybe half?) and the pH seems to be hanging in the 6.7-6.9 range now.

So, still in the experimental phase. Take if FWIW. But, a few data points for you.

Personally, I'm kinda with you. Sure, all the bubble sizes are different, and you can't really rely on them for much. BUT, if you're sitting at 200+ bpm, that "feels" like a high number to me.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 02:25 AM

Thanks BSS,

That is very interesting. You have near the same PH with differant bubble rates depending on how you inject with reactor or diffusser. Not sure I under stand that at all?

I also find it interesting your fish are gasping at a KH of 7.5 and PH 6.5 and mine are normal with the KH the same and PH of 5.9 haha. I may have to look into one of these diffuser things and see what it does. have you seen any improvement with the BBA?

Rick
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I was right there with you before I extended my reactor by another foot. I was pumping gas like no tomorrow into my reactor at a rate of about 3-4 bubbles per second...and yes its a pain in the butt to use a watch and time, but I usually counted for about 5 seconds and then did the math.

Now I'm injecting about 1 bubble per 3 seconds..so 20 bubbles per minute.

65 g tank pH=6.4-6.5, kH=6...so CO2=between 55-70 ppm

Oh yeah, about bubble rates...completely arbitrary since regulator bubble counters, bottle-bubble counters, aquamedic bubble counters...all a bit different.

Re-boot!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 01:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Matak
30 gallons
1 bps
13 KH
11 GH
pH 7.2
25 ppm CO2

I've got on of those Boyu (Boy u r a lousy diffuser) glorified airstones, otherwise my bps count would be much lower.

Steve

Filstar advocate #29
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 01:37 PM
Banned

Hello mikey,

I notice that on your signature you mention an Aqua Medic 1000 reactor. How do you like it? How are you powering it cannister, powerhead or pump?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

It seems to be well made. Kind of a simple device so for the price it better not have any flaws. I can't really say how efficient it is ....

It hooks directly to the outflow of my 2126. I had to get some hose barbs that went from 5/8" to 1/2" and a peice of flexible hose that could hold it's shape.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Banned

Thanks Mikey,
I have a 2028 that I was going to hook it up with and use the 5/8"-1/2" barbed reducer as you did. I may split the flow before the reactor and let it join back in after the reactor using two 1/2" barbed Y's. If I do this mod, in this section of bypass, I'll put a 1/2" ball valve for a little control. Thanks for taking the time for the picture too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode