Question about DIY co2 using a mini filter as a diffuser... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question about DIY co2 using a mini filter as a diffuser...

Hi all, apologies for my ignorance, very new to planted tanks.

I want to set up a DIY co2 using the yeast mix in a 2L bottle, etc. This will be for a 10 gal. lightly stocked/planted.

My question is, if using either a hagen mini eilite or a penn-plax smallworld filter as the diffuser, am I supposed to have the filters on? (i.e. on the penn-plax with the air pump or the hagen with motor running)

Also, do I let it [the co2] run all night and if it needs to be turned off? What do I do with the line running co2? keep it in the water, take it out, etc. Where does the co2 go?

Thank again, this forum has been very helpful in my learning stage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 AM
Algae Grower

I can't find the original post (I believe it was started by wasserpest), but this one by hoppy should help. Check out the mod in the second post, his filter is very similar to the hagen.

Also the penn plax will not work as it works by air pump.

Edit: I just realized that I didn't add the link...
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ht=hagen+elite

N1k0n #58

They asked me to move because I was blocking a fire exit.
If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit. -Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by OrangeSoda; 01-20-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Forgot link
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 04:16 AM
Planted Member

the motor needs to be on. The theory is that the impeller will chop the bubbles into smaller bubbles.

There is no way to stop the creation of co2 from yeast. So let it bubble 24 hours. Don't try lifting the hose out of the water of a working yeast system. (While the outlet hose is under water, the water pressure holds pressure in the system. When the hose is lifted out of the water, the pressure is released and all the co2 escapes. You will need to build pressure up again before co2 bubbles will begin again.)

You can however put the filter used for the diffuser on the same timer as your lights and just let big bubbles float to the surface at night. (however diy co2 is very inefficient, and this is not necessary.)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 04:38 AM
Planted Member

I assume you are going to "MOD" the hagen to allow the co2 to enter the media area rather than the venturi. there is a vid on youtube if you need help. hooking up a diy co2 to a venturi would be bad.

Also I assume you will have a filter on the tank other than these for normal filtration.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2013, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for the tips/advice.

Rich,
Yes, I will have a HOB filter running and not using the hagen as my filtration. And yes, I will be modding the hagen similar to that youtube video you mentioned.

Eventually I want to make my way to a pressurized system but I am still learning the ins-and-outs of co2. So until then...

Thank you all again. Much appreciated.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode