Fish stocking, too many? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Fish stocking, too many?

Hi,

I have 125 gallon planted tank with the following bio-load:
2 adult angels, 2 adult kribensis, 6 adult bristlenose plecos, 9 corys, 5 congo tetras, 5 red-eye tetras, 3 zebra danios.
Do you think I have too many fish for a good planted tank. So far the plants are growing fine with pressurized CO2 and EI method. I wonder what the problem is with having too many fish in planted tank.

MrBlackThumb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 05:55 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't see a problem with too much. Rather, I might worry about compatibility.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 06:18 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
a lot of pleco's..but not over loaded with fish.

I too worry a little about compatibility/aggression, particularly if the kribs are a mating pair...they will terrorize the tank when they spawn.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

He he he, actually the kribs spawned three times already. First is a lost. They ate the eggs. Second was successful. I got 30+ surviving fry. Since 125 gallon is long enough, there are enough areas for the other fish to escape. A month after I seperated the fry, they spawn again. This time I got a lone jewel cichlid in the tank. The jewel was so fiesty. The kribs lost most of the fry to it. Well not only fry, the jewel also ate 4 or my full-adult zebra danios. The last one I saw the jewel with my own eye ambushed the danios and got 1 in its mouth with its tail hanging out. I took the jewel out. One nasty fish, never again. The kribs are on the other hand much much more peaceful. They never bother/kill any fish.

Anyway, alright, I'll keep my fish load as it is now.

MrBlackThumb
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 07:31 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
If anything you're understocked.

Angels do better in groups anyway. I would add 6-8 more.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 07:52 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
The danger with adding more angels is that since they need to be adults and his already are, they might form a pair, and a breeding pair of angels can cause more dammage than a pair of kribs. I lost a full grown red-tailed shark as well as a 4 inch bala and a few other fish to one of my pairs.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I agree with both of you, Blue & Sarah. He he he, I used to have 7 angels in the tank. Once the become adults, they start pairing. I got 3 pairs. They constantly fight. The only time they don't fight is feeding time.

I'm thinking of putting more of schooling fish like rasboras. Any thoughts on which rasbora species is more red-colored? I can probably add more congos since they too school and very beautiful. But congos are a bit more skittish. They got nervous very easily. They're still adjusting with my hands being in the tank almost everyday since I started converting their habitat into planted one.

MrBlackThumb

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode