Shipping Season? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
Shipping Season?

I've seen a few mentions about a season that people can ship plants over the mail, but I've never seen anything formal about it.

Is there a period during the year where most people can't ship plants/fish/shrimpp over the mail due to the weather and stuff? If yes, when is the season?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 06:24 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think that it's better to ship in the winter/ cooler months because you don't have the summer heat baking everything to death.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
It depends on where you live. If you're in North Dakota in mid winter, you better ship with a heat pack. If you're in Florida in mid summer, you need to ship with cool packs. Just use common sense.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

A lot of people think you can't ship during the winter. It's actually quite easy to keep plants and animals viable using heat packs and insulating packaging.

It's the summer that is harder on many types of plants and animals... very hot weather can kill them. Some places put cold packs in, but it's easier to keep a package warm in cold weather than it is to keep a package cool in hot weather.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 02:01 PM

correct...heat will ruin plants, and fish obviously. cooler weather is easier on plants for shipping...but you cannot let the plants freeze or they obviously are dead at that point.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
What do you guys find works the best for keeping plants insulated (and therefore alive) longer? Do padded envelopes work? Or is a small box better?

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringram
What do you guys find works the best for keeping plants insulated (and therefore alive) longer? Do padded envelopes work? Or is a small box better?
It's not just insulation. Envelopes, padded included, are an invitation for crushed plants. Boxes can cost a bit more, but are much better IMO.

FYI - USPS will send you free flat rate Priority Mail boxes if you request them through their web site.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.

Last edited by scolley; 10-04-2005 at 10:58 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I actually have had better success receiving plants in the past during the winter (freezing outside) than during the summer. There's nothing worse than getting mush for plants even though there are cold packs in there.

I actually "chill" my plants in the fridge before I ship them out even though I use Fed Ex overnight now.

Colder weather/chilling the plants are fine since it will slow down the plants' metabolism (think...why are roses always in the refrigerated section of the grocery store...and women always put their roses into the fridge at night to close them back up and make them last longer).

Re-boot!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
good info. I recently mailed some plants to someone (first time I've tried mailing) and it was in a padded envelope. Plants were wrapped in dampened paper towels and then put into a big ziplock bag. It went priority USPS(mailed on Sat from CA and arrived in TX on Monday). Apparently the plants were mostly brown and dead on arrival and they certainly weren't like that when I shipped them. Just trying to get better at this so it doesn't happen again.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringram
good info. I recently mailed some plants to someone (first time I've tried mailing) and it was in a padded envelope. Plants were wrapped in dampened paper towels and then put into a big ziplock bag. It went priority USPS(mailed on Sat from CA and arrived in TX on Monday). Apparently the plants were mostly brown and dead on arrival and they certainly weren't like that when I shipped them. Just trying to get better at this so it doesn't happen again.
Once I have the plants bagged I'll loosly wrap the bag in a couple of sheets of newspaper...key word here is loosly. I'll then pad the shipping box with loosly crumpled newspaper so that the bag has some padding all around it. You want as much dead air space around the plants since that's what provides the temperature insulation...it's why homeless folks will stuff newspapers under their clothes during the winter, or why a survivalist will sleep under a pile of leaves.

óBill

|
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 01:37 PM

i wrap my plants in paper towel, then into a ziploc bag with some water (not much, just enough). I've only used USPS priority mail boxes to ship in...very convenient.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 07:43 PM

I wouldn't recommend sending anything but mosses in padded envelopes. People have been doing it for quite some time now. In those cases it is important to have minimal water and air inside the sealed bag. This is because padded envelopes, obviously, lack rigid support. When has some weight on top of it, the bags will generally burst and leak out.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Texas is one of the most difficult places to send plants to because they have extremely hot weather late into the year. It was probably over 100 degrees in Texasa where you sent it. Priority mail can take up to three days, sometimes even longer.

The answer to your question is rather simple when you think about it. The best times of the year is the fall and spring when the weather is mild in most areas, not too cold and not too hot. Extreme heat is worse than cold. The shorter the time in transit the better. If you want to spend the money for overnight shipping thats up to you. 2nd day is usually sufficient.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode