questions for the person who keeps guppies in marine tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
questions for the person who keeps guppies in marine tank

i believe it was this site that i saw someone who said they keep guppies in a marine tank, i would love to set up a 5g cube with some fancy guppies and ghost shrimp and then slowly raise the salinity until i get to marine strength then make it into a nano reef tank. i would love to breed them in marine water and then sell them to the lfs but i need some advice on the best way to get them to marine water without harming them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 06:05 AM

I would suggest using Mollies instead, as they acclimate, live, and breed much better. The guppies.... well, the females can take it, but the males don't do as well.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I've only seen mollies in a marine tank...I thought that was a bit wierd.

Re-boot!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 01:44 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just wondering, why would you slowly increase the salinity and then make it a nano reef? Why not just start with a nano reef...?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 02:03 PM

GD, I agree that putting livebearers in a total marine environment is weird. Some of them aren't meant to live like that and it compromises their longevity and health.

Danyal, if you want a nano reef tank, you should set it up as one and acclimate the fish in a bucket or something. The reef tank will need a little while to balance out.

To answer your original question, with the guppies you'll want to raise their salinity about .002 per day. With mollies, you can do it much faster.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

i thought it would look really really cool to have a marine tank with some fancy guppies in it, i'm building a 5g cube so i figured i could use some nice looking dry base rock in the tank and some argonite sand and start them out in freshwater like they normally come in and then increase the salinty by 1.002 twice a week until i was at 1.021 then add a piece of live rock and when i got to 1.023 add a couple of begginer corals to make it look really nice. my mom hates me having buckets or anything extra to acclimate fish in so i figured that it would be easier to just put them in the tank and go from there
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Cheeseybacon Send a message via Yahoo to Cheeseybacon
I'm with Navaros on this one, if you want a Nano reef, why don't you just start with a Nano reef from the very beginning? Nano reefs are very maintenance intensive and difficult to keep balanced as it is, why add fuel to the fire?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 10:44 PM

And the tank would obviously be set up before even putting in your live rock, it's a waste of time IMO. In a 5 gallon reef you could keep much cooler fish than guppies too.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

not really i can't think of a single marine fish that should be keep in anything less than a 10g
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well if you can pull it off, more power to ya I guess, but if you ask me, you're setting yourself up for some major headaches.
Keep us posted and start a journal in the photo forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 04:25 AM

Clown goby, fire shrimp, neon goby, small anemone, one percula, micro stars, or, just to make it the coolest tank ever, a pair of seahorses.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 05:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbobarah
Clown goby, fire shrimp, neon goby, small anemone, one percula, micro stars, or, just to make it the coolest tank ever, a pair of seahorses.
+1 for sea horses. You could definately find a pair small enough for a 5-gallon.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 12:03 PM

Yeah, there are plenty of fish you can keep in a 5. Seahorses are great, just don't put dwarfs in a reef! And I would definately recommend getting a Goby and Pistol Shrimp combo, they are awesome.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 03:30 AM Thread Starter

i have to disagree maybe a trimma goby or neon goby but i don't think there are many fish that would be very happy in a 5g tank,
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 03:39 AM

Guppies would be even less happy. They are good in a brackinsh environment, but total salt would be a stretch.

I have a friend who keeps a 5 gallon reef, but he has built a 10 gallon sump under it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode