peat moss alternative? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
peat moss alternative?

the two places in town that have peat moss sell it in large squares and i only want to place a thin layer under a couple of inches of gravel and sand in a 5g cube. could i use spanish moss or something simmiliar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 02:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
spanish moss wont have the nutrients that Peat Moss will. Isn't spanish moss just that long stringy stuff? Peat Moss is more of a soil quality to it.

Your Home Depot or Lowes should carry "Spaghnum Peat Moss" in the gardening area. You tried that yet?

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

the local nursery guy said something about "spaghnum"??? moss but i wasn't sure if it would work. would coconut fiber work?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 12:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

Peat Moss is a type of Spaghnum moss. So you may want to go back to the store and look at what he was referring to. You may get lucky and see the word "Peat" in there too. Not sure about Coco-fiber.

Here is a link to a picture of a bag:
http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore...ss-277319.aspx

Cliff
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

if it doesn't have any peat in it will it still be ok to use?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 04:02 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spar
Peat Moss is a type of Spaghnum moss
Sphagnum is the scientific name of peat moss (There are various Sphagnum species). Peat is partially decayed peat moss.

Back on topic... why do you think you need peat in your tank? While a thin layer doesn't hurt, I am not certain it will help much either. Peat isn't really nutritious...

Definitely don't use peat moss or sphagnum moss or cocofiber...

Find some mulm from a "used tank" and put that underneath your gravel/sand if you want to jumpstart bacterial activity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

i thought it helped alot with plants that have roots? i want to set up a heavy planted tank but several of the plants i want have roots, java fern, dwarf anubias, mirco cryp, wristeria are some if i can get away with mulm and root fertilizers then i'd love to do that. i also realy want to use sand but am hearing that it can cause problems.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Sphagnum is the scientific name of peat moss (There are various Sphagnum species). Peat is partially decayed peat moss.

Back on topic... why do you think you need peat in your tank? While a thin layer doesn't hurt, I am not certain it will help much either. Peat isn't really nutritious...

Definitely don't use peat moss or sphagnum moss or cocofiber...

Find some mulm from a "used tank" and put that underneath your gravel/sand if you want to jumpstart bacterial activity.
Is mulm the stuff that covers your filter (I have a HOB on my 10g) ? Just making sure, I'm kind of a newbie .
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RedSi
Is mulm the stuff that covers your filter (I have a HOB on my 10g) ? Just making sure, I'm kind of a newbie .
it is all the gunk that accumulates in your filter. basically pure bacteria and bacteria food very nice for starting up a new tank... nearly bypasses the new tank syndrome.

Cliff

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode