Cycling required? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cycling required?

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on putting together a small shrimp tank. Approx. 3-5gallons.

I want to put about 5 cherry shrimps and some Xmas moss in the tank. I haven't decided if I'm going to have a small HOB power filter yet.

Do I need to cycle the tank before introducing the shrimp?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 01:50 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
i don't know anything about inverts but i know that you always want to cycle a tank before adding anything alive other than plants(i think)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 01:55 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
IF you have enough plant mass, you could actually get by without having to cycle the tank. As the plants can suck up the ammonia and nitrites, you frequently won't see the cycling 'spikes' with sufficient plants. Check out www.rexgrigg.com for some more info on the topic.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by szesteve
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on putting together a small shrimp tank. Approx. 3-5gallons.

I want to put about 5 cherry shrimps and some Xmas moss in the tank. I haven't decided if I'm going to have a small HOB power filter yet.

Do I need to cycle the tank before introducing the shrimp?

Thanks!
How would you cycle it? I don't think 5 cherry Shrimp, even adults will add too much of a strain on water quality. I would recommend not over feeding them, which might be no food if there is algae in the tank. The shrimp are sensitive to water quality, and the moss isn't really a fast grower, but my personal opinion is there wouldn't be a problem with 5 shrimp in a 5 gallon tank. As they reproduce you may need to start worrying about over population, but by then the tank should be well cycled.

You will get quite a few opinions on overpopulation, but I would think an unfiltered 5 gallon tank could hold around 20 adults without much of a problem.

Hopefully someone will pipe up quickly if they disagree with me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First true attempt at a planted tank.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 02:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
you could do a fishless cycle, but if you read Rex Griggs signature (I think it is his anyway) you will see a big "DONT FISHLESS CYCLE PLANTED TANKS!"

I would go buy some Bio-Spira and add it to the tank. You will spend about $30, but well worth it. It really would be hard to get a quick cycle with just cherry shrimp. Bio-Spira is instant (well, over-night anyway). Make sure the shrimp are already in there when you do this!

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 09:55 AM

Always cycle a tank (planted or not) if you are adding animals. Just add Bio Spira at the same time as the animals, easy enough.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spar
It really would be hard to get a quick cycle with just cherry shrimp. Bio-Spira is instant (well, over-night anyway).
I am assuming the reason it would be hard to get a quick cycle is because the shrimp wouldn't produce enough waste to support a large bacteria level. Doesn't this mean cycling is not needed?

Where is the moss coming from? An established tank? If so, and it is larger than a few tablespoons worth, I would think there is sufficient surface area that you will be introducing more bacteria into the tank than what would be needed to break down the NH4.

First true attempt at a planted tank.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

I am sure over time there will be some form of Ammonia producing product that enters the tank other than from the shrimp. Certain debree falling into the water, etc. May be a good test though to do on a 5g bucket with a few Amano shrimp. See if there is a rise in Ammonia at all over a short period of time. Maybe 75% weekly water changes will keep the Ammonia from ever becoming high. With plants, the minute amount of Ammonia will most likely be consumed anyway.

I like the idea of just getting the bacteria from another tank though (i.e. from the moss). Saves some money on the Bio-Spira. You will have more than enough bacteria at that point for the shrimp bio-mass requirements.

I would still say that doing some form of cycle is definately "less risky".

Cliff
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2005, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone!

I think what I'll most likely do is:

1) Get the LFS to provide me with some water...
2) Try the Bio-Spira
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by szesteve
Thank you everyone!

I think what I'll most likely do is:

1) Get the LFS to provide me with some water...
2) Try the Bio-Spira

if #1 is for the purpose of bacteria, then the water isn't what you need, it is the "mulm" from the gravel. Have them actually siphon the water from the substrate into a bucket. Or just squeeze out a filter-pad into the water.

and, make sure it is a reliable fish store. big name stores (petco, petsmart, petland, etc) don't exactly have the same care for their water supply that small mom-and-pop LFS's do.

I would just go with your own water and Bio-spira.

Cliff

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode