Help. L Repens Dificiency and Quick Primping (56K Warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Help. L Repens Dificiency and Quick Primping (56K Warning)

I have two questions.

First off there will be a little get together at my place next Monday, 10/03/2005. While my tank is in my basement, I can be pretty assured at least some of the 100 or so people will make it down to see it. What can I do to prepare it to look its best?

Second, what is going on with my L Repens. It has never grown well. At one point took a single cutting and placed it in the center of my tank. It has taken off. It is now doing better than the rest in the tank. I don't think it is getting more light, but everything else should be equal.

Here are the pics. They are linked to my blog/image hosting, so if you can't see them, you can click here: http://goodrichbloggers.blogspot.com/

Left Side:

Right side:
This is where I am thinking of the biggest changes. I tried HC, but have seen ZERO growth in nearly a month. I am thinking of taking out the L Repens, and spreading out the Dwarf Hairgrass, or the Dwarf sag on this side.

Good L Repens closeup then full plant:

Hurting L Repens:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
First true attempt at a planted tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 04:14 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I see just a whole bunch of x's, sorry
try putting your pictures at a different serwer.

good luck

matt,
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Cheeseybacon Send a message via Yahoo to Cheeseybacon
Primping suggestions.

That tank is just BEGGING for a background...something, ANYTHING.. a black peice of posterboard... even it if is just temporary for the evening.

If you've got the itch to move things and rescape, do it now, tonight, so everything has as much time as possible to settle in by Monday.

Don't do a water change on or day before... I did this once and it ended up making my tank look worse. Don't worry that doing so will mess your maintenance routine up by a few days, it's unlikely that much would go wrong in just a day or two.

Lastly, pack your filter with filter floss a day or so before the event to give your water that extra little polish... or, idealy, fire up the diatom filter, or borrow a friend's if you have access to one.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon
That tank is just BEGGING for a background...something, ANYTHING, even it if is temporary.

If you've got the itch to move things and rescape, do it now, tonight, so everything has as much time as possible to settle in by Monday.

Lastly, pack your filter with filter floss a day or so before the event to give your water that extra little polish... or, ideally, borrow someone diatom filter if you have access to one.
Thanks for the QUICK responses.

Background: CB I think it was you that recommended this in my journal. I really do need to do it. We'll see if I talk myself into it before Monday.

Rescaping: I thought about ripping the Lrepens on the right out tonight, but thought I would take a quasi vote on here to get some opinions. I will most likely do it tomorrow.

Filter: I am running my UV 24X7, but I think I will stop and buy some Quilting Batting to add to the sump. I haven't ever had much of a problem with clarity, but It is a cheap touch that could make a big difference, especially if I go stirring things up.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 04:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Cheeseybacon Send a message via Yahoo to Cheeseybacon
Oh and everyone loves watching fish eat. The last time I had company over, I actually let my fish go a little bit hungry a day or so beforehand, so they'd be extra exciting to watch when I fed them.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon
Oh and everyone loves watching fish eat. The last time I had company over, I actually let my fish go a little bit hungry a day or so beforehand, so they'd be extra exciting to watch when I fed them.
Yeah...
That may be a problem. other than some guppies, the only fish I have that may be fun to watch is my Betta, which is now in a Nano. Fish lovers cover your eyes...I have it "trained" to take Guppy fry from my fingers. The funny thing is there are three cherry shrimp in the Nano, which are smaller than the fry I feed it, which the Betta leaves alone 100%.

There is another thread out there "don't you hate it when..." I expect that to be happening on Monday.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Re: the repens...

Do you have co2 of any kind? Do you dose any iron? What do you dose?
Besides the betta, any other fish in there providing food for the plants?

I didn't see any info on the specs/params.

Re: the Primping...

I'd lay that driftwood down. I don't know but it just looks odd in there.
And, the suggestion about the background...certainly will make it nice. Just a plain black or really deep blue will add contrast that will make most of the colors in your tank really stand out.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoetzl
Re: the repens...

Do you have co2 of any kind? Do you dose any iron? What do you dose?
Besides the betta, any other fish in there providing food for the plants?

I didn't see any info on the specs/params.

Re: the Primping...

I'd lay that driftwood down. I don't know but it just looks odd in there.
And, the suggestion about the background...certainly will make it nice. Just a plain black or really deep blue will add contrast that will make most of the colors in your tank really stand out.

Here are the specs:
55g with 10g sump filled at about 50%
Dosing per EI with CSM+B every other day. Twice a week I dose the same amount of Greg's chelated Iron as the CSM+B.
I keep the CO2 at 40, and the unhealthy plant is under the output, so should be getting the most saturated water. There are often little CO2 bubbles around it.

I agree the driftwood looks odd. The problem is it is attached to some slate.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 02:58 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I chose to get rid my L. repens a while back because it just grew too quickly. This was likely even before I started EI. So, there must be some deficiency that it is reacting to. My gut feel (though you might want to remove it temporarily) would be to keep it around and an indicator plant to help you figure out the deficiency. I recently found my tank was lacking in Mg, even though my GH is 15+. Try adding a tsp of Epsom salts with your macro dosing to see if the plant reacts. The growth on the repens looks fairly compact, which is nice, but the older leaves are surely showing some deficiency.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 03:06 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I second the Mg suggestion. It helped me with some of my own plant probs.

Also, re the primping, if you really want to wow them, you can always cheat and stuff it full of new plants.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS
I recently found my tank was lacking in Mg, even though my GH is 15+. Try adding a tsp of Epsom salts with your macro dosing to see if the plant reacts.
How long should this take? Will the old leaves ever recover? I have been adding a little (one tsp twice a week) MgSO4 for the past two weeks, and haven't seen much change if any. I don't think it is Ca++ deficiency, as I have had a piece of cuttle-bone in the filter for the shrimp (I know this is debatable if if helps), and use a little calcium carbonate to increase the KH since the beginning.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Planted Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safado
Here are the specs:
55g with 10g sump filled at about 50%
Dosing per EI with CSM+B every other day. Twice a week I dose the same amount of Greg's chelated Iron as the CSM+B.
I keep the CO2 at 40, and the unhealthy plant is under the output, so should be getting the most saturated water. There are often little CO2 bubbles around it.

I agree the driftwood looks odd. The problem is it is attached to some slate.
What made you go with a sump for the 55g? Most people use cannisters for plants, do they not? I've heard sumps are to be avoided in most cases (planted tanks)..
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Safado- give it another week with the epsom salt and see how it responds.
I've had similar problems before- i found that dosing more iron helped alot.
If you are running a UV filter 24/7 try turning it off. Thats something I did also.

Before

After

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 06:50 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
How long should this take? Will the old leaves ever recover?
I don't believe the old leaves will recover, so I would just prune them. In my case, I noted the Mg deficiency in stunted, twisted new growth of A. reineckii. I was only adding 1/3 tsp every other day, and new growth was looking good. When I didn't dose 2-3 days before a water change, the new growth would revert back to stunting. So, I upped the Mg.

However, I previously had lots of problems with bottom leaves of stellatus and aromatica continually dropping off and rotting. Since I've started adding Mg, this has stopped. Unfortunately, this wasn't what I was looking for while I was playing with the levels, so I'm not sure how long it might take to notice a difference.

Quote:
I have been adding a little (one tsp twice a week) MgSO4 for the past two weeks, and haven't seen much change if any.
So, the new growth looks no different? If not, then it might not be Mg.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS
I don't believe the old leaves will recover, so I would just prune them.
OK, so tonight I will most likely just do a big pruning of the L. Repens, and leave the Dwarf Hairgrass and Dwarf Sag where it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99RedSi
What made you go with a sump for the 55g? Most people use cannisters for plants, do they not? I've heard sumps are to be avoided in most cases (planted tanks)..
I think you are right. While I haven't noticed any ill effects of a sump (fast CO2 Loss etc) I think I would do a canister filter next time. I currently have the sump set up as a grow out for some mosses, so that is a nice benefit. I guess the reason I did it this way is I already had a lot of the stuff, so it was cheaper than getting a new filter.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode